Author Topic: Drop to the Shot  (Read 1488 times)

Offline anita96

• Site Member
Drop to the Shot
« on: May 14, 2007, 12:07:13 AM »
I did some training with mocha and a starting pistol this week, mocha did fine and did not flinch at all, although the same cannot be said for me, I jumped everytime and I knew what was coming  :005:  We only did three shots in the session and moved closer each time.  The next session we plan to work on drop to the shot.  We also did quartering which didn't go so well as mocha was hunting with his eyes and not his nose, after littering the ground with treats he seemed to get the idea again. 

We also got the rabbit dummy out which always gets mocha going, to encourage mochas to hunt more we through the dummy into cover will he was watching, I then covered his eyes while my friend removed the dummy.  Mocha had marked the dummy and was sent into retrieve although it wasn't there, he hunted like a demon crashing through the undergrowth, then when he wasn't looking we put the dummy back in, he retrieved the dummy and brought it back. 

We then moved to some ground that was a little more interesting and smelly,  this was a step to far and he blanked the dummy and tennis ball.  Not great but my fault for not stopping on the success we had with the rabbit dummy. 

To finish the session off we had some fun on the agility course that my friend has out in her garden, we are starting on Wednesday at her agility classes so watch this space!.
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!

Cazzie

Re: Drop to the Shot
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 05:01:18 PM »
Well done, wish you all the best with you're training  :blink: . Can I also recommend you wear hearing protection even with a starter pistol  ;)

Offline Alpha

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 03:10:52 PM »
You have done so well, I had a lab that was soooo steady I thought he was asleep. 1st shot not a muscle moved and on the 2nd he used to try to run in. It took months to sort it out, but you have done the right thing with Mocha and I'm sure he will be a super star.

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 05:05:09 PM »
Well done Mocha you are coming on great by the sound of things.
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver