Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

hip and eye scoring

(1/1)

ST:
Currently looking for breeders of cockers and whilst I was researching one breeder had on their record that they don't do hip and eye scoring.  Are breeders supposed to or are they not obliged?  The reason I'm asking is that they have said they would be wiling to sell me a puppy even though in the afternoons it would be my mother in law who looks after it and not me.  should I carry on looking further?

Sarah                    

KellyP:
Hi Sarah - Welcome to COL  :)

As you are obviously aware there can be heriditary problems with Cockers spaniels - predominently problems with their eyes (for example, PRA - Progressive Retinal Atrophy)
Basically breeders are not obliged to perform hip scores or eye tests - however such test may provide you with piece of mind as to the good breeding of your pup - that is not to say though that breeders who do not test your dams or sires do not breed good cockers with good temperaments - some are even show champions  ;)

At the end of the day it is up to you whether or not you choose to buy a dog from a breeder who does not test - personally my partner and I decided that the tests were important - to us it kinda showed that the breeder had good faith in the pup she was breeding - we are keeping with this line of thought when we get our second pup (oh such a long time away!  ;D )
But that is just our opinion and feeling - it may not be as important to you.

Other important factors to consider before buying a puppy are explained in the FAQ section of this board, which can be found at http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/board/index...ex.php?board=47

HTH

Kelly, Tris and Millie                    

Gilly:
Hi Sarah,

I would say as a minimum you should be looking for both parents to be eye tested  ;), not all breeders hip-score but if you can find one that your happy with that does both and you are happy with the temperament ( a very important factor) and the breeder then you should be on the road to finding your puppy. I also suggest you read the FAQ on working full-time which you'll fine here http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=2018
Also just to clarify Prcd-PRA is the correct term for the type of PRA (Progressive Retinal Atrophy) seen in Cocker Spaniels. ;)

Gilly                    

LindaW:
Hi Sarah,
Only just seen this posting.  I would agree that the parents should at least have current KC/BVA Eye Certificates.  However, the parents can still be carriers and therefore nothing is guaranteed - just thought you should be aware! ::)
Good luck
Linda ;)                    

xander_ho:
Hi Sarah,

I agree with Kelly, Gilly and Linda. My 10 year old is currently suffering from PRA and is going blind and needs a lot of attention. He has cost us and insurance company  thousands £ to the point that they wouldn't even insure him anymore. Always buy puppy whose parents are eye tested but like Linda said they still can be carriers!! :'( so remember to ask when the dogs had their eyes last tested!!!

I was looking for a puppy few months ago and was adviced to take my time to find a reputable breeders. The best place is to go to a  few cocker spaniel shows, there you will find people who cares for the future cocker spaniel. They will be able to tell you all about hip and eye scoring ;D. I was told if you breed dogs with any hereditary disease (eyes, hip, etc..) or nervous temperament it will certainly pass down to the puppies.

Good luck with the search for your new puppy ;)

Alexander                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version