Author Topic: Liver Cake  (Read 6167 times)

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Liver Cake
« on: September 20, 2003, 02:36:49 PM »
At last I decided to make Lottie some liver cake...it's not long been out the oven and she's been sat whining for it in the kitchen whilst it's been cooling ::)

After giving into her, I have to say it's gone down a treat :D

Unfortunately, it may be the last time as at one stage I thought I was going to throw up with the smell :o :P  Foul!!!!!

So, a tip for anyone wanting to make any is make as much as you can in one go so that you don't have to suffer it too often (luckily, I made double the recipe).  I shall follow Pammys tip from an old thread .... cut some into small treats and pop back into the oven to crispen and put them in an airtight container, nice one Pammy ;)

Oh....if anyone's brave enough here's the recipe again:

8oz lamb liver
4oz SR flour
2 eggs
2 cloves of garlic

Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth, pink and runny (or not so much if require chunkier).  Pour into greased swiss roll tin and put in the oven Gas 4 for 30-40 minutes.  Leave to cool and cut into bite size pieces.

:-X :-X ;)                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
Liver Cake
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003, 02:51:53 PM »
You did make me laugh Mary, as I know how awful it smells :-X :-X :-X  the last time I made it my family nearly left home, they thought they were in for a horrible tea!!!  :-X but Alfie loves it.  ;D
I also make double the amount and when it's cooled and cut up, I bag it up about 10 pieces in each one and freeze it. I then just have to get a bag out now and again. I think he's even recognised the bags cause he is glued to my side and is ultra good, waiting for a piece ;D ;D
Lou                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Liver Cake
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2003, 02:15:30 PM »
You're both very good going to all that trouble and I am sure your dogs appreciate your efforts.  :D  I just could not face all that smell and mess :o                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Liver Cake
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2003, 02:21:09 PM »
Saw the recipe for liver cake a few months ago, so hubbie decided to make the boys some (bad move), whilst blending the liver he forgot to put the lid on, what a mess!!!!

But he didnt give up (unfortunatly). I do have to say the boys did enjoy it but what a mess he made and I had to clean up after him.                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Anonymous

Liver Cake
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2003, 03:11:27 PM »
have been making this for jessie since I got her, yes I aree it smells foul!...and I have to say I wont use the blender for anythin else now..lololol..my friend couldn't face making it, so I made a  batch and mailed it to her...wonder what the postie thought the whiff was  ;D  ;D                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Liver Cake
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2003, 05:26:20 PM »
Can I just say, not only does liver cake smell when you cook it... it smells just as foul after your dog have eaten it, if you know what I mean  ::)                    

Anonymous

Liver Cake
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2003, 05:34:00 PM »
rotf.... thanks for that Mikey...  :P                    

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
Liver Cake
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2003, 08:43:29 PM »
Yes, you have a very good point there Mike!!! ;D
the boys can always tell when I've given Alfie raw liver for tea too :-X                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Liver Cake
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2003, 09:21:42 PM »
Very brave Mary  :o good for you for having a go. But for me like Linda the thought of it give me the  :-X :-X. Reminds me of something they'd be forced to eat raw on Fear Factor  :o :-X Ok wheres the sick bag ;) think i might buy the ready made ones instead  ;D                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Liver Cake
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2003, 11:24:13 PM »
Mmmmm.........it'll have to be another special occasion for me to make it again, dunno what was worse really,  blending the liver :-X or the smell of it cooking :-X, (or washing the blender :-X)

All her friends at the meet had a piece of it and it seemed to go down well 8)                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Liver Cake
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2003, 05:53:52 PM »
LOL - I have never been brave enough to make any of this, although I am assured it works wonders when training  ;D

Any of you braves ones out there fancy making a couple of batches and posting them out to us chickens?  ;D   ;D  ;D                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Liver Cake
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2003, 08:04:53 PM »
Well, I've been to asda's and bought my blender and ingredients and the liver cake is baking away. Nothing on earth prepares you for the stench once that blender lid comes off :-X :-X Absolutely foul :P :-X                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline xander_ho

• Site Member
Liver Cake
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2003, 02:39:57 PM »
To all you brave cooks and would be bakers  ;D who have attempted the dreaded liver cake recipe, thought you might be interested in this website http://www.positivelypets.com/books_parties.html Good luck and let us know how you get on with the new recipes :P

Alexander ;)                    

Offline Surfing Spaniel

• Site Member
Liver Cake
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2003, 08:56:50 PM »
At our training class we are told to cook liver for 3 hours very slowy. The smell is disgusting & I try to go out while it cooks. This recipe seems quick & easy compared to that lol. I just wondered if the garlic was really necessary, cant bear the thought of being slobbered over by a puppy that reeks of garlic & liver!!!                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Liver Cake
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2003, 10:05:44 PM »
Well I actually went out and bought a blender today, no pinny though. ::)

As for the garlic.....surely that is only necessary for Petit Basset Griffon Vendeens , French bulldogs etc ?  ??? Tomato Ketchup for our English Cocker Spaniels. ;D