Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

Nose to the ground.

<< < (2/2)

Colin:

--- Quote from: Jane S on September 23, 2003, 11:35:41 PM ---There's no easy way of getting a pup to lift their head up Colin - just practice, practice & practice again ;D

--- End quote ---

Yep, practise makes perfect I suppose.......well here's hoping ! ;) ;D

I will persist with the cheese and also try Alexander's tip of clicking (thanks Mr Ho ! ;) ;D )........... I think I'll leave the liver cake as a last resort, especially if it requires the wearing of a pinny to manufacture ! :o  ;D                    

Shirley:
Morgan is a ground sniffer too - reguarly tripping over his ears.  He can be brushed and gleaming when we go out but within a couple of minutes his ears are scraggy - now that autumn's here he's even managing to pick up a leaf or two along the way - If they're not stuck to his ears, they're stuck to his legs. :D                    

Gilly:
Butty is a floor sniffer to (ask Jane ;)) maybe thats why she pays absolutely no attention to me when we're out for a walk  ::)

At ringcraft i use little pieces of broken smackos...unfortunately it now means all my jean pockets are full of crumbs, even when washed so everytime i put my hand in my pockets i keep getting little pieces of smacko crumbs stuck in my finger nails...tut tut ;) ;D
This works well for me as now we are getting to the stage where i just pretend i've got them in my hand  ;) When i 1st started using them i used to give her a sniff first and then set off on my triangle and this kept her attention the whole time, it doesn't take long before they realise that they will get the treat at the end  ;) I did have a problem with people who had been around the ring before me dropping bits of treats, which then resulted in Butty nosing the ground and scrabbling for crumbs....if this happens i just pretend to pick whatever it us up quickly and she thinks I've got it in my hand..which means i get her attention again  ;) ;D

Gilly                    

Luvlylady:
haha gilly , :o becareful you might end up with a pack of dogs following you at the ring :D dont think the owners would be too happy haha :D not too mention butty :P                    

Mary:
Lottie was absolutely focused if I had ANY treat in my hand ::) but now it would have to be pretty special ;)

After her retreating to the car on Sunday when she decided she'd had enough >:(, I've been taking my liver cake out with me.  Nearing the end of a walk yesterday, she trotted off ahead and sat at the gate to the field ::).  She knew I had liver cake and when I called her she came (which at this stage of the walk she would not normally do).

I also had the attention of about 4 other dogs all after a piece ::)  So, get that pinny out Colin...you will have Mistys undivided attention 8)                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version