Author Topic: Cocker Colours  (Read 7980 times)

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Cocker Colours
« on: October 06, 2003, 12:23:28 PM »
I wonder if anyone could advise - we were hoping to find a golden coloured cocker (not red but similar colour to a golden retriever).  Is this a common colour - or rare? ??? ;D  Any suggestions where I can see a list or pics of the common cocker colours?                    
All the best
Phil

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Cocker Colours
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 12:52:30 PM »
Hi

Golden Cockers are quite common but Golden Retrievers their colouring goes from really pale cream right through to a very dark gold almost red.

Have a look at http://www.mightyfalls.com/efoton5.htm

Dessie :D :D                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Tricialane

• Site Member
Cocker Colours
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 12:55:19 PM »
I found a site that has some photos of the different colours.  It is www.ecspuppies.tripod.com.

There was another overseas site where people sent in loads of photos of their cockers and they were sorted by colour, but I cant seem to find that now.
Hope this helps.

Tricia                    
Tricia

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Cocker Colours
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 02:46:47 PM »
The other site Tricia mentions is at http://w1.457.telia.com/~u45710745/. For photos of solid Cockers in the UK, have a look at http://www.solidcolourcockers.fsnet.co.uk/solid.htm I have never seen a Gold Cocker as pale in colour as the palest Golden Retrievers (though you do see this colour in American Cockers where its called pale buff). Most Golden Retrievers these days are much paler than the average gold Cocker so am unsure exactly what colour you're looking for. Bear in mind though that when looking at Cocker puppies, it is often not possible to predict exactly what shade of red/gold they will be as adults.                    
Jane

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Cocker Colours
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 04:13:07 PM »
Wow in tha link jane gave in the oval shape , looks like a grey cocker , do these exsist or is it just the coour thats come out. wouldent it be nice to see pure soild grey cockers ;D                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Cocker Colours
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 04:33:00 PM »
I spy with my little eye... our very own Michele serving on the Solid Colour Cockers' committee :D                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Cocker Colours
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2003, 04:33:41 PM »
Wow in tha link jane gave in the oval shape , looks like a grey cocker , do these exsist

If you look a bit closer you will see it is a reversed black and white version of the photo of the red cocker it is facing. ;D

On the same site I noticed it said that chocolate and liver cockers are defined by their depth of colour in the same way that depth of colour defines a red or gold. I understood from a previous thread that choc and liver were one and the same thing. ???                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Cocker Colours
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2003, 04:41:10 PM »
I know what you mean Colin. There's definitely a distinction between the colour of Loraine's chocolate dog Georgia, and the redder-liver in my springer Jazz. But I also remember the previous thread where it was explained that traditionally cockers of all shades of brown were mostly known as chocolate/choc roan, whereas springers were defined as liver. So Jane, over to you once again  ;D                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Cocker Colours
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2003, 04:55:52 PM »
I spy with my little eye... our very own Michele serving on the Solid Colour Cockers' committee :D

Yes indeed that's me ;D and if you click on
http://www.solidcolourcockers.fsnet.co.uk/so02000.htm and scroll to the bottom of the page, the black cocker with the blue background is my very own Neneh :-*

There are infact about 18 colour definitions for cockers, although some double up ie choc/liver, but with the red/golden their colour is determined by the depth of colour in the coat.
I wonder if between Jane & myself (and anyone else in the know) we could list all the various colours ???                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Cocker Colours
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2003, 05:00:58 PM »
Okay here goes

Black
Black & Tan
Red
Golden
Liver
Liver & Tan
Chocolate
Black & White
Black & White Ticked  ??? (is this still recognised)
Black, White & Tan (tri-colour)
Blue Roan
Blue Roan & Tan
Orange Roan
Orange & White
Lemon Roan
Lemon & White

over to you Jane ;D                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Cocker Colours
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2003, 05:11:17 PM »
You missed chocolate roan...now only one more to get ???

Edited to add that the only other one I can think of would be chocolate and white                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Cocker Colours
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2003, 05:17:29 PM »
sable?                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Cocker Colours
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2003, 05:18:22 PM »
Sorry about this Michele but thicko here is still confused. ::)  ;D

You say that liver and chocolate "double up"......does this mean they are the same colour  (liver being the traditional old school description, chocolate a more recent one gaining popularity) because you then go on to list them separately...........which leads me to think they are two different colours depending on "depth." That website definitely infers that they are two differing colours in the same way that red and gold are different.

You'll have to speak slowly to me though ! ;)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Cocker Colours
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2003, 06:03:24 PM »
I have heard some breeders say that chocolate & liver are 2 different shades of the same colour in the same way that red & gold are. I'm not convinced by this at all - nor is Peggy Grayson who has written the definitive book on Cocker history ;) Most breeders choose to register their pups as liver or chocolate depending on what name they actually prefer - the older breeders register as liver & the more modern ones as chocolate. Commercial breeders always use the term "chocolate" as it's more appealing to their buyers :) So take your pick - as with lots of subjects, opinions differ ;)

Going back to the list, you could add orange & white ticked & lemon & white ticked as well as chocolate/liver roan & chocolate/liver white & tan. Sable isn't included in the Cocker Breed Council list of accepted colours but it is well established in some European countries so it depends on your perspective :)                    
Jane

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Cocker Colours
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2003, 09:40:12 PM »
Saw on that site red roan and orange roan there both nice . ive never seen a sable cocker are they rare?I did find a website that showed chocloate and liver they both looked different the liver looked not as ritch as the chocolate ones who knows thou..