Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

Training class disaster

(1/3) > >>

Ange:
Hi All

Took Poppy to training class tonight, we have been going for about the last 5 weeks.  Tonight one of the helpers, not the main trainer came over and said I was being too soft on Poppy.  At the time we was doing a sit stay, but Poppy kept flopping down ( she had gotten herself all hot and bothered as she is sooo excited by the other dogs, plus she is still a baby at 19 weeks).  He grabbed her by both sides of the collar and made her go into a sit, she was obviously upset by this and nipped him. He wasnt bothered and continued making her go into a sit.  He then went onto tell me I should hit her when she does wrong, as I am going to ruin a good dog, does not seem right to me.  The main trainer is very good, and the lady who trains the top class is excellent.  Do I just ignore this guy or has he got a point, that I am letting her get away with not doing what I am asking and I am asking for trouble in the future.

Sorry its so long
Ange                    

Anonymous:
;D Hi Ange  ;D

Never attended a puppy class !!!! But i do know that hitting a dog will not solve anything !!!! And you shouldnt do it !!!!
It can make them aggressive and very apprehensive of you !!!! So on that point he is definately wrong !!!! And i wouldnt accept someone being rough !!!! If it had been me i would have had a word with the main trainer !!!!                    

Silver Surfer (indiesnan):
Well  Ange, i,m  afraid  i  would  have  smacked  him one.

that  is  no   way  to train  a dog  let  alone  a pup. :o

and  i  think  you  should  tell the  trainer.  Poor  Poppy,  :(

i   think  if the trainer doesnt  do  anything about this,

i would  look elswere. And  no  he  hasn,t  got  a  point,

training  a  dog  by  hitting  it , is  definatley wrong,                    

Mike:
Dont just ignore him Ange - tell the main trainer and the lady who normally runs the class. They'd probably be aghast at his so-called 'advice', which is blatantly wrong - no reputable trainer would advise anyone that they should hit their dog ::) And also dont let him put you off - carry on doing what you're doing and if you have any areas of concern or feel Poppy isnt progressing, then speak to the main trainer or the lady who runs the class, who will know what they're talking about  ;D                    

*Jay*:
I wouldn't tolerate that at all Ange >:( Like you say, Poppy is still a baby but she isn't going to learn by being hit >:( At my class, when Dallas is doing a sit-stay and flops down, they tell me not to worry, as the main fact is that he is staying. At that age, what does it matter if they are sitting, lying down or standing on their head - the main object is to get them to stay. Its really only when you progress through the classes that a sit-stay means sit-stay ;) When I do sit-stays with Vegas, we have to walk around the room three times and if he flops down, then I have to go back and put him in the sit position but not by force - if he doesn't respond to the command then a bit of chicken under his nose and raising it up slowly while saying sit does the trick. Maybe you could try doing this with Poppy next time she flops down but I certainly wouldn't use that imbocile's method.....if anyone will ruin a good dog, it would be him with that attitude. Oh, and don't let that one incident put you off the classes - they are great fun ;) ;D                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version