Author Topic: Attatchment  (Read 1257 times)

Offline YorkshirePudd

• Site Member
Attatchment
« on: July 06, 2007, 10:21:02 AM »
Bear with me - I'll get to the point...
We have a cat, and when we got her I was at Uni full time with 2 part time jobs so she spent her first few weeks primerilly with OH.
She has never really taken to me, (except when hungry because I am the only one that remembers that food and water is important) She goes to OH for cuddles and will chose him over me when ever the opportunity arises ...
Our puppy comes home August, we'll have him together for the evening then the following day I'm Working 3pm-1am, and the same the day after that - followed by 2 night shifts before I have 4 days off.
Don't get me wrong here I'm not wanting pup to favour either one of us, but is he likely when settling in to form some sort of attachment to OH?
I couldn't bear it if Milo makes it as clear as the cat does that I am only of use at feeding times. OH sais I'm crazy and that Pups are not like cats ... Maybe I am but it's been niggling be and need someone who knows more than him to make me feel better ...!  ph34r

Offline TeresaC

• Site Member
Re: Attatchment
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 10:25:22 AM »
My OH spent 1st week at home with Rosie and to be honest i thought the same as you, he still gets up every morning and takes her out, feeds her also he does the last walk at night. She is equally attached to us both, she never favours one, but i do find she is very protective of me. OH was out last night and when he came in Rosie baked when she heard the door as if to warn him off (she never barks normally)

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 10:27:02 AM »
I find with Jarvis that he has a special relationship with every person that he sees on a regular basis. And he has different uses for each person. :005:

At the moment i'm very pregnant and so not doing every walk with Jarvis like i used to, so his daddy has taken over the walkies/playtime role, however, this means my role in Jarvis' life is cudddddles,cuddles, and more cuddles! :luv: He also has his granny who's sole purpose is to let him out into the garden when he doesn't need a pee as she's a soft touch. ::) And he has his auntie who is just for fiesty games. :005:

I don't think you need to worry, puppies manage to adore lots of people equally. I've not got a cat but i've known of lots that are one-owner animals, and they are generally a lot more independant.

Milo will find out who's best for getting his own way with what ;) and will adore you both the same i'm sure. :D
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 10:28:36 AM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 10:30:55 AM »
Kali was with me all the time when we first got her.  I was at home with her and she came to work with me.  OH played with her when he got home and got his cuddles then.  All that has happened in Kali's case is that she now thinks OH is the main person for playing with :005:  She loves us both but she knows who does what!  She never goes to OH for feeding, she jumps in my lap and puts her face right in mine til I get up and get her grub.  By the same token, she will not come to me to play.  Well, she will but if OH appears I am forgotten in a trice :005:  If I throw something for her, she will take it back to him ::)
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 10:45:24 AM »
Dogs are very different from cats in this respect. He will love you don't worry but please don't overdo it or force the issue either as you could end up with a dog wih separation anxiety which is horrendous in some dogs.

IMHO its just as important to teach a pup to be independent as well as you need ot be able to leave them and not have them whining or howling etc. when you go out or even into another room.

I have a cocker bitch who loves me to bits but she does like her own space sometimes which I respect (jus tin the way we do).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline YorkshirePudd

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 11:04:18 AM »
:lol:
I knew you guys would fix it!
Its weird but you get something in your head and start to worry... and it just gets bigger and bigger, to the point where I was trying to figure if they would notice if I got a tummy bug on the same days I'd put in for leave!  ph34r (never dared pulled a sickie in my life so this is extreme for me!)
 Thank you all so much!

:D :D :D

Offline Lee67

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 04:26:43 PM »
I work from home so Poppy is with me all the time, I walk her, feed her, train and play with her, but when OH comes home from work...she loves her daddy... :luv:
Lee & Poppy xx

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 06:39:03 PM »
I work from home so Poppy is with me all the time, I walk her, feed her, train and play with her, but when OH comes home from work...she loves her daddy... :luv:

Same here!!!!!!!!   ::) :luv: ::)

Max sits & waits by the door from 5pm onwards, waiting for 'the lord & master' to get home - I'm forgotten then!!

Ah well - he makes up for it with lovely cuddles in the day!!

from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 09:37:34 PM »
Our dogs are at home with me all day but they're ecstatic when Robert comes in!!

However they're the same if Robert's at home & I've been out!! ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 09:56:37 PM »
When we got Charlie last summer me and Dad worked full time while Mum is retired and he loved/played with/attacked all of us equally  :lol:. I moved out at xmas and was really worried that his attachment to me would dissapear, but he absolutely luurves me  still :005:. And he gives me all the cocker kisses he can to prove it  :005:

Millie