Author Topic: Boarding school  (Read 11415 times)

Offline Niki

• Site Member
Boarding school
« on: July 31, 2007, 03:22:53 PM »
We've just booked Swift in for a stint at boarding school, starting late August. I'm already knowing how much I'm going to miss her !!
I know, looking at the bigger picture, it's the right thing to do .. she's coming along nicely, just turned a yr old and had her spay op last week .. but we know we just don't have the full on time to put into her training. She's a cracking dog, and can't fault her as a pet in the slightest, but we got her with the intention of working her, therefore ...
She just needs a lot of 'fine-tuning', and serious work on ignoring the stop whistle when fur and feather are involved !
I'm just dreading being without her !!

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
Re: Boarding school
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
Aww I guess it's just like sending a child to school you'll miss her under your feet.  :luv:

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 11:25:07 AM »
Please excuse my stupid question (  :embarassed: ), but is it common in UK to send your dogs away to be trained by somebody else?

There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Niki

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
Not stupid atall ! I don't think it's all that common .. I think a lot of people would like to do it, and equally there are lots who would much rather do it themselves.
I would love to be in a position where I felt I could dedicate enough time and effort to training Swift, and it must be immensely rewarding .. but looking at the bigger pictuer, our personal opinion and circumstances mean that this will be a great investment.
So loath as I am to be without her for any length of time, I am sure it will be worth it  :D

Modified to add: and it's not like we haven't done any training with her, it's just certain aspects that we don't feel experienced enough to get right .. and it would be an awful shame for us to get things wrong and ruin her potential, so much better for us to acknowledge our limitations and ask for expert help.

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 01:39:11 PM »
Thank you for your answer and I hope you didn't get offended by my question  :blink:., I asked out of complite curiosity, because I've noticed other threads about it too.

Offline Niki

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 06:14:38 PM »
Ofcourse I wasn't offended Katina !
I bet the only other threads have been in the working section though ? I don't think it would be something a purely pet owner would be considering. As I said, as a pet, can't fault her atall, just needs work on the gundog side of things.
The trainer we're using is actually the guy that bred her, and has a very good reputation .. hard enough her going, but at least I know she'll be in very good hands  :blink:

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 06:40:50 AM »
Yes they've been here in the working section. I've trained all mine for the field (allthough they are all showtype), we've attended some training groups and I am very lucky to have a really good "mentor".  I just couldn't bare the thought of sending them away, so they have to put up with me ( not that they ever complain  :005: ).

Offline Popsey

• Site Member
    • West Berkshire Gundog Club
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 02:40:48 PM »
I will be picking up my little girl after two weeks away tomorrow.

For me it wasn't the fact that I don't have the time to train her, I don't have access to live game in a controlled area to be able to train her to flush and then stop.

She needed the live game to get her nose down and start hunting in a controlled manner.

However, the proof of the pudding will be when I have a demonstration when I pick her up tomorrow!!
Ali & the "chaos of cockers"
www.westberksgundogclub.co.uk

Offline James

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 06:30:41 PM »
looks like stella will be going away at one point I was planning on doing a lot of training with her before i got to college but have recently got a full time job and just don't have the time now, time will tell...

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 10:17:05 PM »
For me it wasn't the fact that I don't have the time to train her, I don't have access to live game in a controlled area to be able to train her to flush and then stop.

That's why Alfie is on his holidays at our trainer's place just now, I dropped him off today (and miss him SO much!) Charlie's got a huge rabbit pen plus all the new poults just put out in the pheasant pens so it'll be great for Alfie.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 10:44:12 PM »

That's why Alfie is on his holidays at our trainer's place just now, I dropped him off today (and miss him SO much!) Charlie's got a huge rabbit pen plus all the new poults just put out in the pheasant pens so it'll be great for Alfie.

Nic he'll be fine with CT  ;) and I wish i could put fern in too  ;) but i need to get my rear into gear and train her a bit more before I decide to hand her over  ;) but if I was going to hand her over to anyone it would definately be CT  ;)

You have done a brill job with all yours  ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 10:49:26 PM »

Nic he'll be fine with CT  ;) and I wish i could put fern in too  ;) but i need to get my rear into gear and train her a bit more before I decide to hand her over  ;) but if I was going to hand her over to anyone it would definately be CT  ;)

You have done a brill job with all yours  ;)

Aww thank you hun  :-*  I miss him so much already I'm like this  :'(  but it'll be really good for him and he'll have a great time  :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 10:51:25 PM »
Nic Fern is gonna miss him just as much on our camping trip  ;)   blimey just thought she might just have to go for a toyboy  :005:  (Rodaidh)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 10:53:10 PM »

awww, how long is he away for? Did you cry? Please tell me you cried then I won't feel so pathetic welling up at the thought of leaving mine  ;) :005: :005:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 10:55:22 PM »
Gill Nicola is still crying now  ;)