Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

HOW CAN YOU TELL

(1/3) > >>

GarryJ:
Hi

through various threads there is talk of working cockers vs show cockers, I know that the cockers are bred to work but how can you tell by looking at them, just curious.                    

KellyP:
Hi Garry,

erm basically I think that working type cockers are slightly shorter & longer, with shorter ears and not so much coat. I believe that working cockers have slightly more energy than their showing counter parts (and the showing type are generally lively enough!  ;D )
Take a look at the pictures of Jasper (a liver/chocolate working type cocker ) on the photo gallery - hopefully you should be able to see from his piccies what I mean  ;D  ;D

Of course in field trials either type can compete and can do equally as well  ;D                    

Jane S:
Working Cockers are very different to the show-type Cocker - they have been bred from different lines for many years now. Have a look at http://www.briarquest.co.uk/ for more photos of Working Cockers & you'll be able to notice the difference straight away. Show-type Cockers are capable of working & some have passed working tests aimed at show-bred dogs but only Working Cockers take part in Field Trials (where a much higher standard & greater speed is required) as far as I know.                    

KellyP:
sorry - i was thinking of Challenge Certificates not field trials  ::) however once a show type has achieved 3 CCs I believe that they can take part in a field trial .. but only on a particular day or something  ???  :-

Of course I was not suggesting in my reply that working cockers and show cockers come from the same lines .. except way way way way way back of course  ;D I was just trying to give an overall visual difference  :)

once query though .. can working cockers be KC registered? if so do the KC actually distinguish the two types in any way ?  ???                    

Mike:

--- Quote from: Kelly P on October 26, 2003, 08:43:15 PM ---can working cockers be KC registered? if so do the KC actually distinguish the two types in any way ?  ???

--- End quote ---

Yes to the first part - I know this as my springer is from working lines and she is registered - and I'd say no to the second. To the novice, I dont think there would be any distinction between a KC registered show cocker or one from working lines. Obviously with a bit of research though, you can however tell from someone's affix what type the cocker is.

ps in Europe show-type cockers take part in field trials I believe - I know some of our Scandinavian members successfully show and work (trial) their show-type cockers  :)                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version