Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

wits end!!

(1/7) > >>

Pammy:
Most of you know of the ongoing troubles we've had with Jasper and Buddy. Basically, Jasper is very jealous of Buddy and constantly feels threatened by him. Buddy on the other hand is well laid back and couldn't give a monkeys.

Buddy can't walk past me without Jasper jumps up and blocks him from me. Buddy however, does pinch and guard toys or chews from Jasp given half a chance.

Recently things have been getting worse and I am now suffering territorial( I think it is anyway) weeing in the house and barking. Meg's has been at home today and they have wee'd several times - after being out etc. If I leave them in the house in the kitchen together, I can guarantee I will come back to wee. Leave them seperated and nothing.

Out walking, Jasper has to be in front of Buddy if we take them together. If I take them out seperately, Jasper goes for Buddy, not in a really viscious way, but a way that tries to say, "I'm the boss", the second they are reunited.

Jasp has been in one room with the kids for 5 mins while Bud was just with me. He has been let out and went straight for Buddy and is now barking at his face. Buddy has a tennis ball. Ball removed and he's stopped barking. Both now lying with their heads down. :'(

When we go in the car, if they are tied in the back, Jasper barks none stop and Buddy mimics Jasper. If they are on their own, Buddy is a dream. He will just sit or lie down and not make a murmer. Even when we stop, he just sits and waits. Jasp on the other hand is incapable of relaxing. Even if I let him in the main body of the car, he has to be by me and will not rest. When we slow down or stop, he's up and whining/wimpering.

The oddest thing though is bedtime, 99% of the time, they go into their crate together and sleep very happily together :- There are times when they cuddle up on the sofa and look so sweet. Jasper has his evening routine of cuddles - ie he goes to Nige to sit on his face and nibble his nose ;D.

We really are at our wits end  :'(. As much as we adore both our boys, we can't go on llike this much longer :'(. Buddy is a pure joy, so easy to live with Jasper is so hyper we just don't get much enjoyment from him at present and I can't believe he is happy either. I was about to order a DAP diffuser, do you think it will help? Any other pearls of wisdom very gratefully received.

Sorry for the war and peace - it just started coming and wouldn't stop :'(                    

Mary:
I really feel for you Pammy and can fully understand why you're at your wits end :-

It definately sounds like Jasper has 'the' problem...that problem being that he cannot except sharing you and wanting to be 'top dog' :-

I have no answer to your dilemma....hope someone can come along and give you some ideas to ease the situation.

Sounds like you need a hug in the meantime ;)                    

Pammy:

--- Quote from: Mary on October 27, 2003, 05:47:42 PM ---
Sounds like you need a hug in the meantime ;)

--- End quote ---

Do I - thanks :)                    

Mary:

--- Quote from: Pammy on October 27, 2003, 05:52:03 PM ---Do I - thanks :)

--- End quote ---

I've got a bottle of wine here needs sharing too Pammy ;)                    

*Jay*:
Sorry to hear about your problems Pammy :'( Now I know I've been very lucky that Vegas and Dallas get on well for the most part - Vegas gets growly with Dallas when there is food and/or toys involved but I find that relatively easy to control. I think the DAP may help as it may make Jasper feel more secure - of course, there are never any guarantees but I think anything would be worth a try :- I have a spare diffuser you can have to try it out if you like - if it works, great, keep it and if not you can just send it back. Really hope there is a happy ending to this :-                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version