Author Topic: wits end!!  (Read 9970 times)

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
wits end!!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2003, 08:02:40 AM »
Pammy

I'm so sorry you're going through this. We send you a big hug and hope that it settles down soon.

Let us know how you get on with them.                    
Anita

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
wits end!!
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2003, 02:28:41 PM »
Just seen this Pammy. Sorry to hear that things aren't going well :( Hope that maybe the DAP difuser will help with Jasper.

Thinking about you and hoping things get better soon :)                    
Fiona & Poppy :)

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
wits end!!
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2003, 03:51:13 PM »
Awww!!! i hope you manage to get your two boys settled Pammy.
 it must be realy upsetting for you.  :(
( Big  ((( hugs )))  from me too.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
wits end!!
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2003, 04:23:26 PM »
Hi Pam, just seen this too  :)

It's difficult to know what to suggest really as we all know you're good at dog- behavioural issues and you'd be one of the first to answer if anyone else posted a similar type of problem.

I suppose I'm quite lucky with Daisy and Jazz as they usually get on very well together, and I've learnt how to avoid the situations in which they become a bit testy with each other. It's tricky to know what to say without knowing the ins and outs in your case, i.e. what you've tried and what you've found works/does not. I think most dogs that live and grow up together display some kind of share anxiety to some degree - which is what it is, really - I really hope that you can find some way of discouraging Jasper's unwanted behaviour  :)                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
wits end!!
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2003, 04:33:51 PM »
A HUGE thanks for all the support guys - it really does help :D

They've been good boys today, mostly ;D no puddles, Jasper's only tried "humping" Bud a few times since I've been home and is at the mo trying to dig his way to Oz through an armchair :-. He is a dog of very little brain ;D

I'll give the diffuser a good go and let you know how that goes - fingers are crossed ;D

Although I've focussed mainly on Jasp, coz he's the one that causes us most grief, I'm hoping the DAP will also stop Buddy being so proprietorial over things. We can but hope ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Hel

• Site Member
wits end!!
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2003, 07:49:04 PM »
As Jane has said, an 18 month age gap does not always ensure harmony - my parents' dogs also had more than a couple of years difference between them.  They also got on fine with little sign of trouble until the younger one actually challenged the older - up to that point the older had been top dog with only the very occassional growl.  The problem was that neither dog would back down once they started.

I honestly think it is largely down to luck how dogs get on with other.  Most dogs living together get on fine all their lives, but now and then, you find a couple who just don't, whatever you have done - just like people really!  

Have you considered neutering one (or even both) of them?  I'm aware that this can be very hit and miss in terms of the affect on behaviour, but it is supposed to stop the marking in the house and may have a positive affect on the relationship between them. It also stops the humping!

I had a foster (aged 5) who was a humper and also had bad doggy manners (chin on shoulder, etc.) - Pip (neutered) would not tolerate his behaviour and things got quite nasty, Fletch (entire and a dog like no other) put up with it without fighting, but put a stop to it by playing him at his own game  :o  - I found foster with a very sticky patch on his back  ::), which, just for information, was very difficult to wash off  ;D.  Foster was neutered and is happily living with another male cocker with no problems.

There is also the possibility that Jasper will grow out of his older teenage behaviour.  Most do and if they are not fighting seriously, I personally would wait to see how it pans out.

Hope my ramblings help in some way!

Helen                    

Offline gerry

• Site Member
wits end!!
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2003, 08:43:37 PM »
So sorry to hear of the trouble with your boys Pammy - I do hope you manage to get it sorted without too much stress

By the way, what is a DAP diffuser?                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
wits end!!
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2003, 09:04:11 PM »

Have you considered neutering one (or even both) of them?  Helen

Helen - Yes I have thought of this. I got Jasper Tardak'd last year, made no difference at all. :- because of the way Jasper behaves over Buddy and that Buddy does not retaliate - I don't think that doing BIuddy would make the slightest difference either. I'll see how we go with DAP.

Gerry - DAP is Dog Appeasing Pheramone. It's a chemical that mimics a pheramone given off by the newly whelped mother. It helps appease the new puppies and the theory is that it also helps adult dogs. Many have tried it for things like firework fear etc with great success. It  has also been used in situations like mine too. Doesn't work for all - but it's worth a try.                    
Pam n the boys

Offline Michele

• Site Member
wits end!!
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2003, 10:32:39 PM »
Hi Pam,
Just want to add my best wishes and hope the DAP works. I've been through similar myself in the last year as you know, and I know its not easy. Hope you get your problem resolved soon  :)                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
wits end!!
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2003, 09:24:32 AM »
Hi Pam - I would just like to say how sorry I was to read about your boys being so naughty.  I do hope the DAP works - will be interesting. I noticed someone else mentioned castration and I had been wondering about that - although I am generally against that sort of thing it can be helpful in cases of interdog aggression and it might be worth consulting the vet for his advice.  The weeing in the wrong places must be nightmare for you.   ;)                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
wits end!!
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2003, 09:28:48 AM »
I was  just wondering Pammy could this problem be hormone related,!!!  I think you can get a blood test done.... But i,m sure youve already thought of it. :)                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
wits end!!
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2003, 04:20:27 PM »
Hi Pam, So sorry to hear of the trouble your having at the moment. I hope the DAP works for you. I have one for Alfie as he gets separation anxiety, and it seems to be working.

A lady who lives at the bottom of our road had this problem when she bought two Lhasa pups (both male)  They were fine to start off with and then all hell broke loose. She was lucky in as much her friend, across the road from her had just lost her dog and she was able to take 'Henry' from her so she now has the best of both worlds as they go for walks together every day and 'Muffin' enjoys seeing his brother.
It might be a solution if things get alot worse and if there is anyone near you who would help you out.

Sending best wishes for a good outcome.
Lou                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
wits end!!
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2003, 08:31:47 PM »
Pam, as far as the marking/peeing indoors is concerned, have you heard of/tried Pet Fresh? They have a website www.petfresh.co.uk and I saw they had a stand at both Bournemouth & Richmond Ch Shows so maybe they will be at others. A friend of mine bought some and she has used it with good results. Might be worth a try :)                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
wits end!!
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2003, 08:50:47 PM »
Cheers Michele - I'll give that a go - I'm sure there's be an element of remarking going on. They were given access to the bathroom again tonight and left together in the kitchen while I was out - wee'd in both :- I get so frustrated when I'm told "But they shouldn't do it". I know they shouldn't, but they are, so don't give them the opportunity - grrrrrrr families ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Offline Michele

• Site Member
wits end!!
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2003, 08:59:08 PM »
I was with my friend when she bought some at Bournemouth and the guy insisted on demonstrating  :o he had a little bottle of what I can only presume was concentrated wee. He gave a couple of squirts of Pet Fresh and then re wafted it under our noses. Honestly the smell had gone so it really must neutralise well  :D
By the way I'm not a rep or on commission ;) ;D