Author Topic: wits end!!  (Read 9968 times)

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
wits end!!
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2003, 10:21:27 PM »
Hi Pammy

Jut back from hols and thought I must just put in my little bit as Sebastian & Bart had their moments.

We had to praise up the top dog and push down the other - Sebastian is top dog so he comes and sits with me first gets all the fuss, let out first etc etc and Bart has to wait until Sebastian lets him come up to me for fuss etc.  When they were really grouchy I put Bart on Skullcap and Valerian tablets from Dorwest Herbs - six a day and this did help.

I can honestly say that if we go by the Top Dog Rules we hardly ever get any problems now ...  Maybe you could try the Skullcap on Jasper as they are very good for stress as well.  Have a look on the Dorwest Website.

I hope things sort themselves out soon for you all :D :D

Lots of {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

Dessie :D :D                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
wits end!!
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2003, 11:29:01 PM »

When they were really grouchy I put Bart on Skullcap and Valerian tablets from Dorwest Herbs - six a day and this did help.

Does it work on husbands too ;)  Hope you enjoyed your break!

Emma and Indie                    

Offline Anny

• Site Member
wits end!!
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2003, 05:43:16 AM »
Sorry to hear the boys gave fallen out.  Are either of neutered?  If not I suggest you decide who is the most dominant of the two and neuter the other one.  Allow one to be dominant and stick to it.  Dogs don't think like we do and subserviant one won't be worrying that its not fair his mate got fed first etc. It is hard work and you  will probably always have this underlying tension with them but it is controlable. Hope things settle down soon for you.  Sometimes they're as bad as kids!! ::)                    

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
wits end!!
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2003, 11:36:05 AM »
I only just noticed this. I did't read trough all the answers, so I hope I a not repeating anything.
Pam, What I wanted to ask is how do you react in a situation that Jasper doesn't let Buddy near you? Or what do you do when they guard toys?
My girls have had their moments, but I think we have been able to settle things now with some little things I do. First of all, I do not give any attention to any of my dogs when they themselves come to get it, I just ignore them. I know this might be hard resisting those sad spaniel eyes, but it really works. When I want to give attention to any of my dogs I just call the dog I want  to me. If the others come, I just ignore them (once again ;) ). This does wonders for obedience too, at least my dogs are willing even to "stand on their heads" just for the joy of getting my attention.
What comes to guarding toys, well, I never keep toys lying on the floor. When I decide to play with the dogs I take the toys out, but at other times the toys stay in the box.
I also have a day once a week for each dog. Emma does agility, Ada does obedience +tracking and Kukka does ringcraft classes. I have noticed that this is very important for my dogs, that they every once in a while get me "alone".
I also do not tolerate any kind of fighting in my house. Emma never fights, she couldn't care less. Ada and Kukka fight sometimes, so I simply go in between them, ignore Ada, put Kukka on her back and tell her off (as she is the lowest in the pack).
We also have D.A.P, but I really can't say if it works or not, as I haven't noticed much difference.
I hope you get things settled in your house  :) !                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion