Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

Being Attacked

(1/4) > >>

gerry:
Advice please...

When out walking yesterday we had a bit of trouble.  Rigsby and a Jack Russell were sniffing each other happily enough when suddently the JR launched itself at Rigsby - there was then a scuffle with much rolling and yelping.  Rigsby broke free yelping and screaming and ran away with the JR in hot pursuit (meanwhile both my kids were terrified) I managed to grab hold of Rigs and lifted him up and kept the dog at bay with my feet until the owner managed to grab hold of him.  She was very apologetic and was assuring me he never normally behaved like that.  What I would really like to know is should I have picked Rigsby up or not?? - he was terrified and I think I would have dropped kicked the JR up the field if it had carried on attacking him, so lifting him up seemed the only option.  >:(

We gave him a thorough "once over" when back at our car - the only injury he sustained was to one ear which had a lump of dried blood at the end which I found when stoking him later on, and it didnt seem to be troubling him.

Any tips for breaking up this sort of thing in the future would be appreciated.  Thanks.                    

Pammy:
poor Rigsby.  I don't see that you could have done anything else other than pick Rigsby up. If the JR was really gunning for him then what other choice was there. The only thing you need to be careful of is that you yourself are not in danger - but in the heat of the moment you just react instinctively. It's easy to forget how much damage a little dog can do :-

The main thing is not to let it make you fear meeting other dogs. If it does Rigsby will pick up on it and will become nervous himself and other dogs will sense that  and more trouble could ensue.

What I always do when I see another dog approaching is to call mine back to me to put on the lead in the hope that the other owner will do the same. If they don't it can cause a problem in that your dog can feel threatened by being on the lead. At least if they are on the lead you can pull them back to you - but it's not an easy one and there is no definitive answer that I know of.

Hope Rigsby is OK and that he soon forgets his little tussle :)                    

Anonymous:
Aww poor poor ickle Rigsby thats shocking Gerry, those JR's can certainly be quite nasty >:(  I am glad he is OK I am sure like Pammy said you did the right thing, I would have done the same.  I really don't know what the answer is in preventing such attacks, I know you can get a spray to stop dogs jumping up on you, its used a training method, its perfectly safe for them, it just tastes bitter apparantly ::) But I am not so sure how the law stands on this, there is so much "suing" going on these days, but you have to protect your dog, and yourselves, could have been really nasty.

Sending big cuddles to Rigs :)

Emma and Indie                    

PennyB:
Poor you, I know what its like to have your dog attacked by another. I'd have done the same thing. You do what you think is the right thing at that time.

Ruby my eldest cocker who was 11 months old at the time was attacked by 2 staffies back in April. I reacted by grabbing her and trying to pull her off because each time she slipped out of my hands the staffs looked set to devour her even more. One of her owners told me not to do that but I knew (they were basically trying to rip her apart) that it was the bes tthing and also if i hadn't and the worst happened I wouldn't have been able to live with myself. I told my dog trainer the story and he told me of a similar occasion of when he dragged a cav off a staff, an incident he saw happening while driving along a road (I respect this trainer a lot).

I now carry an alarm (someone on another forum said that in their rescue they have a klaxon to break up fights) to assist in this—it will basically distract them or at least if a dog has got hold of yours will let it go.                    

Gilly:
Sorry to hear about poor Rigsby Gerry  :(
I think under the circumstances you did the right thing and as the others have said instinct takes over i these situations  ;) I think the hardest thing when your dog has been attacked is to not pass on your fear to your dog  :- I once had a dog attacked by a Rottie and it was terrifying, luckily he was OK but to be honest I still feel i am wary of all other dogs unless I know them  :-[ maybe not a bad thing but I do have to try and control my emotions when walking Butty  ;) Luckily she seems to have a good understanding of doggie ettiquette and usually steers clear of any potential ankle biters  :)

Gilly                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version