Author Topic: Advice needed....buying game  (Read 5832 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Advice needed....buying game
« on: August 23, 2007, 03:51:24 PM »
I know the season is upon us soon; and I am hoping it might be possible to stock the freezer to last the dogs through the winter  ;) Rabbit is great, but it would be good to have a bit of variety too  ;)

How do I get in touch with the right people to be able to buy game? We don't have a Licensed game dealer here (except M & S).....but am I right in thinking that a License is no longer required in England?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Cazzie

Re: Advice needed....buying game
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 03:58:52 PM »
There are a few in the Isle of white, look at the Isle of white public register there is a list there  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 04:06:11 PM »
Thanks Cazzie - last time I looked at the website there was only one listed, but I see that four Licenses were issued last month; they obviously hadn't been added to the Councils online list until recently  ::)
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 04:20:28 PM »
Its either that or you take up shooting yourself  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 04:22:48 PM »

I'm spread thinly enough as it is - I can't take anything else on   ;)
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 04:24:26 PM »

Of course you could, its a family sport you could take Lilbit and the dugs  ;)

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 05:14:07 PM »

:lol: :lol: you should see my diary  :lol:

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Cazzie

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 05:51:28 PM »

:lol: :lol: you should see my diary  :lol:

And mine  :lol:

Offline mrssittingduck

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 08:21:54 PM »
failing that you could incubate, hatch and rear your own game, the eggs come cheaply enough and the knowledge if you look in the right spot is free of charge, just takes a bit of trail and error, ,
if you have any local gamekeepers they can show you how to dispatch them yourself or they can do it for you and also pluck them for you too ,
that way you can chose the sort of game you want to feed and keep it interesting by rearing different sorts of game , pheasant, duck, chicken, quail of many different varietys and all at the space of a few months ;)

Cazzie

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 08:47:22 PM »
failing that you could incubate, hatch and rear your own game, the eggs come cheaply enough and the knowledge if you look in the right spot is free of charge, just takes a bit of trail and error, ,
if you have any local gamekeepers they can show you how to dispatch them yourself or they can do it for you and also pluck them for you too ,
that way you can chose the sort of game you want to feed and keep it interesting by rearing different sorts of game , pheasant, duck, chicken, quail of many different varietys and all at the space of a few months ;)

I rear a few of my own birds and release them into the wild. I couldnt keep them in captivity and kill them I prefer to give them a sporting chance hence releasing them. I dont like to think that any I shoot are mine  :'(

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 09:21:31 PM »

I prefer to feed free-range meat for ethical reasons - raising birds in the garden of a suburban-semi is not quite what I had in mind   :-\
Oldies Club

Offline LB

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 10:33:58 PM »
Your local shoot will probably be suffering now with the usual problem towards the latter part of the season.

One of the shoots that I attend for beating with my cocker is giving 2+ brace away every Saturday as the game dealers are offering pennies for the birds, shame on them >:D

LB

Cazzie

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 11:42:12 PM »
Your local shoot will probably be suffering now with the usual problem towards the latter part of the season.

One of the shoots that I attend for beating with my cocker is giving 2+ brace away every Saturday as the game dealers are offering pennies for the birds, shame on them >:D

LB

This is where a shoot has to think and plan before they shoot, we have found many different channels for our birds that are shot as we have NO gamedealer wanting them, but we have plenty hungry mouths to feed and loads more that appreciate a beautiful pheasant meal. I have spent over 3 years promoting game and giving free recipes to people. In this day and age we have to diversify (whatever its called) so that NONE of these birds are wasted  ;)

Offline LB

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 04:04:43 PM »
I agree but like having a litter of pups there is always some people that come up with a excuse as to why they can't etc.

Pity people aren't more like dogs who always keep their promises :005:

LB

Offline Bubbles1977

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 10:13:56 AM »
Hi, my husband is a Gamekeeper and we don't have any problems finding people to take our pheasant and partridge.  The Guns take whatever they want, some of the beaters take a brace each, the rest we sell to a local butcher.  In fact that same butcher often buys rabbit/pidgeon from us.  He has one specific customer who buys a load of rabbits at a time just to feed her dogs, it may be worth speaking to a local butcher to see if they could do something similar if you are looking for food for your dogs.

Lisa