Author Topic: Is he eating too much?  (Read 2020 times)

Offline YorkshirePudd

• Site Member
Is he eating too much?
« on: September 03, 2007, 10:02:27 AM »
Hello all... Were still having runny problems with Milo not a day yet with a normal poop and he's still going up to 10 times if not more a day
- Doggy doc has given him 'biotics to rule out colitus, but I know that over feeding can cause this -
  We have him on JWB at the mo - he's 12 wks tomorrow and on about 180g a day (soaked) and treats are taken from this - is this ok? His weight seems fine, rib test done...! - and he wolfs his dinner without pausing for breath. How much do other pup parents feed?  
Reassurance/advice needed

Pudd x

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
Re: Is he eating too much?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:26:31 AM »
Now I'm no expert, but we recently put Mrs Bridges on JWB and according to the feed guide she should have 170g a day (she's 5 and weighs about 10kg).

If you're giving Milo 180g and he's 12 weeks old, it sounds quite a lot.  However, I've not had a puppy before so as I say, I'm no expert on how much you feed pups, but that's what we give Beezy.

Does this help??!
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)

Offline YorkshirePudd

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 11:11:01 AM »
the puppy food guide on the back of the pack is based on the intended adult weight - thats what were following ... god now am really worried!

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 11:19:29 AM »
I've never weighed out Jarvis' food, but puppies eat a lot more than you'd expect, they use up so much energy growing. The amount sounds fine to me. If you're concerned you could talk it over with your vet next time you're there? :blink:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline YorkshirePudd

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 11:34:09 AM »
I will - have rechecked the pack again and again and its right! if theres no improvements after the biotics then we'll be back to the doggy doc

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 11:43:50 AM »
Right mine are fed autarky but here are the differences in amount for my lot  ;) just to give you an idea

(These are all daily amounts and split into 2 meals for Jock and Fern and 3 meals for Braan a day)
Braan is on 300g a day of puppy and is 14wks old When Braan gets to 5 months old then his food is to be reduced to 200g a day (still puppy food)

Fern is on 160g a day of adult food and is 18 months

Jock is on Autumn years for senior dogs and gets a daily allowence of 220g

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 05:02:22 PM »
You might want to supplement him with probiotics/acidopholus to help get his stomach bacteria in balance. You can find them in health shops or online. A teaspoon of yogurt, the plain kind, no sugar or flavors, is also beneficial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_the_doctor/probiotics.shtml

I'd also supplement with digestive enzymes to help him absorb the nutrients in his food. Since it is going through him so fast he may not be getting all he could be from his meals. Again, in health shops or on the net

http://tackdirect.co.uk/prod_show.asp?id=276

Is JWB a chicken based food? You might want to consider finding a beef or lamb based meal to try. Some dogs do not tolerate chicken well.
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 09:06:03 PM »
Spanielcrazy made a good point about the flavour of the food - when we spoke to the vet about Mrs Bridges' gippy tummy and runny poo and he suggested switching to JWB, he said to be sure to go for the Turkey & Rice flavour as it's by far the best to settle tummy's.  It's worked a treat with Mrs B  :D
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)