Author Topic: Am I mad  (Read 8286 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Am I mad
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2003, 12:48:15 PM »
Totally correct Jane and Tracey boys will always no that there is a bitch in season but you don't you think it is easier having kennels where they are separate ??

Certainly its easier than keeping them in separate rooms in a house or worse, crating them as some people do, but you do have to have the room for a kennel & a good-sized run  & no neighbours or understanding ones (some dogs can be very vocal when there is an interesting bitch around ;D)                    
Jane

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Am I mad
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2003, 02:16:59 PM »
When I got Misty , my plan was to send either her or Jimmy to my sister or a friend for the duration of her seasons. This is starting to look increasingly impractical now and I'd even reluctantly started considering getting Jimmy castrated. :'( I have been advised that a Tardak injection for Jimmy could be the solution, as soon as Misty shows signs of coming into season. I've spoken to another forum member who has had success using this as a kind of doggie contraceptive, so this seems to be my likely course of action now. Has anyone else used Tardak for this, if so, how effective was it ? Any potential problems I should be aware of ?

If it works, then it might prove useful for you, Gill if you want a bitch, with just an eager Dallas to keep at bay from an alluring temptress.  ;D I would imagine three boys might prove more difficult, not to mention costly.                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Am I mad
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2003, 02:37:30 PM »
If it works, then it might prove useful for you, Gill if you want a bitch, with just an eager Dallas to keep at bay from an alluring temptress.  

Using Tardak was actually something I was thinking about the other night so let me know if it works ;D                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Am I mad
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2003, 03:58:23 PM »
Sounds like a good idea Colin - am just wondering how vigilant you will have to be though to make sure Jimmy gets the injection when Misty is in season as there arent always any warning signs that the season is coming on... after the first two you'll be better able to judge the gap in between and predict when Misty is due, but for the first especially from the age of 8 months onwards (erring on the side of caution) you'd need to be checking Misty various times a day for the signs  ;)                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Am I mad
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2003, 06:41:43 PM »
I agree Mike, although I knew that Butty would be due into season anytime, I was actually taken by surprise when she did  ;) Even tho its not been unknown for me to prod about her bits on a regular basis  ;) ;D ;D                    

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Am I mad
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2003, 06:51:35 PM »
My reason for thinking about getting a bitch was basically the same as Gill's. I do have a friend who  would be able to look after her when she is in season ad she has kennels and is a cocker breeder. But all this is giving me food for thought ??? Boy Girl Girl Boy, I'll be dreaming about the little rascals forever. When it come down to it I wouldn't want to upset my little boys for the earth.                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Am I mad
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2003, 07:16:02 PM »
Hi Susan, If You have someone who could look after your bitch when she is on heat I think it could work :) I`m sure you know this could be 3-4 weeks, but if you are prepared for that then I don`t see a problem :)
Dessie :)
Kennels are great for physically keeping dogs and bitches apart, the boys still know, and as Jane said you do need a seperate run. They can still smell a bitch and can be noisy >:( I have never kept dogs and bitches together in the house.  You need to decide if you have enough room to keep them apart. On top of this you have to be extra vigilant that other members of the family remember to close doors :o
Also a seperate area  for the dog to wee  is good, once he smells where a girl has been :o
That said I do know people who keep both in the house so it can be done, just takes forward planning and you need to keep on your toes ;)
Don`t know much about Tardak but that could be an option :)
Tracey :)                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Am I mad
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2003, 10:27:28 PM »
My previous post looks to of gotten lost in cyber space ???

But Tracey I think Kennels are the best option with separate runs etc if you are thinking of going into Breeding.  Trying to keep dogs separate in a normal household would be quite stressful for all concerned I think personally.  Making sure everybody keeps Jack away from Jill etc ...

This is really something that needs lots of thought adding a bitch to a household with an entire dog.

Thank you all for your comments and keep them coming I find this for one very interesting as like Susan & Gill I had thought of getting a girl in the not too distant future.

On the Tardak front ... I had Sebastian Tardaked when he and Bart were having their little problems but it didn't make the slightess difference  :(  :(                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Am I mad
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2003, 03:42:07 PM »
Might be having Sonnys sister coming to stay for a few weeks so this is a chance to see what 4 cockers is like will let u know :roll:                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang