Author Topic: Marrowbone - how much is too much?  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Coco

• Site Member
Marrowbone - how much is too much?
« on: October 02, 2007, 11:11:28 PM »
I have Wherry tonight  :D and I got her a nicebone from the butchers. Have managed to keep it mostly n the blanket as opposed to the cream carpet  :o but now i'm worrying it may upset her tummy  :-\
My biology ain't up to much but its (was) about 6-7 inches long and an inch or so round with big smooth nobbly round bits on the end. It's almost all marrowbone in the middle, maybe 3cm on the outside of white bone then the center is pure marrowbone. She has whittled it down to about 4 inches now. Should I take it off her, she is loving it but I don't want an upset tummy?
Thanks
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Marrowbone - how much is too much?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 11:41:54 PM »
It depends how used to them she is really and how strong her stomach is... Alfie used to be on barf and still gets chicken wings and pork ribs and he's fine to chew marrowbones but Tilly on the other hand won't eat most barf food, she hates it and although she will chew on a marrowbone occasionally I limit it as otherwise she is likely to have an upset stomach. The other thing with beef bones is that they are very hard and can wear down the teeth, I usually take them away from my lot once they've taken off the exterior meat and got as much of the marrow out as they can, before they start to eat the actual bone itself.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/