Author Topic: correct weight for 2 year old  (Read 1152 times)

Offline deano

• Site Member
correct weight for 2 year old
« on: September 27, 2007, 01:11:36 PM »
What should the correct weight be for a 2 year old male, He has RoyalCanine medium adult and the vet said he should have 225g per day and he has always had his meal split into two, early morn and 6pm.   we tried giving one meal early morning but by the evening his bowl is pushed all round the floor and he is begging for food.

he is very thick round the middle now and dont want him to get any bigger, any help

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: correct weight for 2 year old
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 01:54:34 PM »
I would continue splitting the meal into two - once in the morning and once in the evening  ;) just split the daily allowence  ;)  (225g = 115g  am and 110g in the evening   ;) )

i don't think there is an exact weight as like us humans we are all different, but you should be able to see a waist and feel his ribs (not see them)

Hope someone else comes along to explain this better, there have been other threads about weight I'll see if I can find a link for you  ;)

Hope some of these help ;)

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=31846.0
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=33180.0

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 02:22:51 PM »
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1660&articleid=661

Please don't be put off by the headline, I'm not suggesting your dog is fat, I haven't seen him  :lol: He's probably gorgeous  ;)
But i think this page is very good at explaining what your dog should look like and feel.
That way you know if you've been feeding too much or not enough., and can adjust accordingly the food or the walks.
I follow those charts every time I feel uncertain about the feeding, they're allways hungry these cockers aren't they.
Except my cocker is not eating at all now, but I'm not worried yet as she is not underweight and in season at the time.

Offline deano

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 03:20:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice and links re food allowance,  am giving Louis just under the 225 now, i think the weight gain is probably due to the weather being so hot here the whole summer, you can only really walk him early morning and late at night otherwise he just can't take the heat. sometimes he will completely go off the food and we have to put a little tuna in or small piece of chicken or he wont touch it so that hasnt helped.   Hopefully now that we have Alfie and they are starting to get on a little better he will be able to run off some of the excess weight racing round the garden, i have one extreme to the other, Alfie is skin and bone and needs fattening up and Louis could do with going weight watchers. :lol:

Offline deano

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 09:42:52 PM »
Just thought i would say that the pic is of my new rescue Alfie taken in the dog refuge where we collected him from last week,   Louis is twice the size of poor Alfie although there is only about 12 months between them.
realised after that everyone would think there's no way he is  over weight!!!