Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

New Puppy

<< < (3/3)

pwhite48:
Hi Phil

you beat us to it!  We've been having a right game getting our puppy - the good news (fingers crossed) is that we will be going to see our breeder tomorrow, and meeting our pup to be for the first time (4 weeks old) then getting her in the new year.

Look forward to sharing 'new owners woes' with you then!

All the best with your pup

Phil (the other one!)                    

Phil:
Hi Phil,

Good luck getting your puppy. Worth the wait and you'll have something to look forward to after Christmas. You'll probably never forget the first time you meet your dog, I don't think we will.

What shinanigans have you had getting your dog?

It'll be good sharing experiences with you. That's the beauty of this forum. My first bit of advise (owned a puppy for three days, now the world's expert!) would be to get a crate/cage (whatever they're called - see, expertise didn't last long!). Ours is a godsend at night.

He got a clean bill of health at the vets this morning. Apparently was chatting up the receptionist!

Phil                    

Katherine:
We are going to get our blue roan cocker puppy in a few weeks and its me who is going to train him.  Should I take him to a puppy traing class, and if so, how can I find out if there is one in my area. :wink:                    

PennyB:

--- Quote ---We are going to get our blue roan cocker puppy in a few weeks and its me who is going to train him.  Should I take him to a puppy traing class, and if so, how can I find out if there is one in my area. :wink:
--- End quote ---

Its always useful for new puppy owners to go to puppy classes (they're as much about socializing as they are training) unless you have loads of experience there's always something to learn. Also socialization of your pup as soon as you get them is extremely important. Ask at your vets for the nearest puppy class or any dog walkers you may meet.                    

Mary P:
Hi Katherine,
There is an association of dog trainers who have a web site on http://www.apdt.co.uk/
You can find a list of trainers in your local area beside their specialities.
We have recently adopted an 8 year old female - Tia - from the RSPCA, and their local rehomer suggested a dog trainer who I'd already found on that site. I have met them once, and they are very welcoming and very good!
Good luck,                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version