Author Topic: Weight of pup  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Tjarda

• Site Member
Weight of pup
« on: December 12, 2003, 04:37:14 PM »
Hai everyone,

I am looking all over the internet for information about weight. My pup is almost 7 months old, but to me, she looks like a four month old puppy. She weighs only 8 kilos. I'm just wondering what's a normal weight for a 7 month old bitch. I'm feeding her a bit to much, hoping she will grow , but instead she's getting a layer of fat.

Tjarda                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Weight of pup
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 05:33:02 PM »
Hi Tjarda

There is no normal fixed weight for a 7 month old puppy - puppies develop at different rates, some grow quickly & are fully grown by 7 months, others take longer. Also some puppies are just genetically programmed to be small even when adult & there is nothing you can do about that I'm afraid :wink: Feeding your pup more won't make her grow more - as you've discovered, all you end up with is a podgy pup :) She may well grow a little more in the next few months but it sounds like she is just going to be "petite" as some Cockers are.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline english.springer

• Site Member
    • http://www.cropsafe.co.uk
Weight of pup
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 08:14:40 PM »
Hi Tjarda

I agree with Jane you just can't put an exact weight on it but the vets love it and are full of bright ideas and answers......as long as your pup is fit and health don't panic.

The vet told me that my cocker was under weight, thin and too long :?

Well I said he eats more than my springers, runs like a greyhound and works for aliving. Oh the vet said well are you sure he's a standard cocker?
Yes a working cocker I replyed perhaps he has a new strain of diet body shaping worms :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
and at that he changed the subject                    
Good birds on the day are only as good as the dogs that put them there!.........If it\'s still moving send the dog!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Weight of pup
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 09:11:51 PM »
Indie is also petite Tiarada she is also 7 months old :)   On a recent trip to the vet for glands to be emptied I mentioned to him that I was concerned that Indie was on the thin side, he looked at her felt around her body, looked and me and laughed he said that she was exactly how a cocker should be :D   He said I was probably comparing her to other cockers that I have seen about, he said that most cockers are actually overweight, due to a lot of them loving there food thats why he said you think Indie is slim :D

I felt very reassured at this :)   As Jane says maybe your pup is just gonna be petite, or maybe just a late grower :)

HTH

Emma and Indie