Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

Circling and scraping.

(1/4) > >>

Colin:
Does anyone else's Cocker scratch and scrape at the floor as if digging a hole before settling down to sleep ? Jimmy has recently started this, much to my annoyance. :evil:  There's just not stopping him either, no matter how much I tell him off he just pauses before doing it again. It goes on for about 15 minutes, on and off.

While he is digging his way to Australia, Misty can be found literally hopping around and around in circles. After a few minutes of this she will lie down and start suckling on a soft toy. Her eyes half close and she goes into a kind of trance, her body moving back and forwards and sometimes her paws tapping away.

I've been told that the scraping is to remove damp soil and the circling to flatten grass ...... both ways to make sleeping more comfortable in the wild. As they have never slept outside in their lives, you'd think they'd realise this isn't really necessary by now . :roll:  :lol:                    

Mike:
Both of mine have started doing this very recently too Colin. I had been wondering if it had anything to do with having heating on in the house making them uncomfortable?

ps nice avatar!  :lol:                    

Mary:
Lottie often digs and circles too Colin :roll:   She also tries burying her rawhide chew in the corner of her crate, if she's dragged her blanket out then it means she's constantly trying to claw her way through the plastic tray :roll:

She is also a suckler too...she sucks on her vetbed (no matter how many times I wash it it always looks disgusting within a couple of days :? ) and like Misty, she goes into a little trance.  It's just like a child with a comfort blanket or dummy :D                    

Loraine:
Hmm v. strange.  You mentioned this to me the other day and I said that neither of my two did it. But, as of this week Georgia has started to dig at her cushion in her crate and go round in circles before settling down.  I bought her a new cushion to see if this would make a difference because I thought she was uncomfortable but there has been no change yet.  I wonder why they do it?  Perhaps Mike's theory about central heating is right?  Only thing is I've had the heating on for ages now...

Loraine.

PS Candy doesn't do it at all.                    

*Jay*:
Brooks done this for as long as I can remember :roll:  Vegas just circles a couple of times and settles down but Dallas has recently started the scraping and digging - only on my aunties leather chair though :shock:                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version