Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

Tail docking

(1/4) > >>

shonajoy:
I've been reading about this, but have noticed a lot of spaniels I have seen have actually been docked - I thought it was illegal nowadays? :?:

Shona                    

*Jay*:
It's illegal for anyone other than a vet to do it.                    

Jane S:
Obviously since the vast majority of show breeders still have their litters docked, this means that there are only a few undocked Cockers being shown, some have been imported from countries where docking is not permitted & some bought from non-show breeders. Statistically a docked Cocker has a better chance of doing better in the ring than an undocked but an undocked Cocker if good enough in all other respects can also do well. In some breeds, there have been undocked Champions made up eg where top quality dogs from overseas have been imported or shown over here via the Pet Passport scheme.                    

english.springer:
Tail docking has been a much talked about subject and even more so just recently. The powers at be are trying to get it stopped/outlawed!

Well this could be interested.......the reason it's in the firing line is because anti docking groups say it's cruel and the docking council say it's not. The start of problems! :?

My own opinions are my own and as far as I see it it the the requires it then so be it.

For example
My three spaniels have all got docked tails and I will stand up and say yes my dogs tails are docked and I think it is right, for the reason that they work and take my word for I have seen working dogs undocked that have sliced chunks out of their undocked tails :cry: the blood is everywhere! in some cases the tail has to be docked by the vet known as aputation, this allows the damaged bit to be cut out and allow the remaining part of the tail to heal.

If my memory serves me correct the case that started the anti tail docking campains was a person who docked his own pups(rotties) and cut too close to the tail base which resulted in all the pups being destroyed as they were very badly paralised at 3 days old.
A very sad case.

But done properly by a vet there is no problem and tails still wag regardless of size. :D                    

cbabe:
We work ours - and i know what you mean by the mess the undocked dogs get in to!

Dad has had springers for years and has always insisted that the tail is docked quite long, so they can wag like crazy, but short enough not to exceed the side of the body -so they won't get damaged in the field.

A friend went to help him take the last litter to the vet and they were suprised how little it effected the pups. As at a few days old their nervous systems have not developed completely.

A remember in the news not long ago some kids were prosecuted under the new laws for docking pups - at a few weeks old!! And yes they did alot of damage!

But watch the CDB web site (www.cdb.co.uk) for info on whether it is eventualy made totally illegal.                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version