Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

Tail docking

<< < (2/4) > >>

shonajoy:

--- Quote ---We work ours - and i know what you mean by the mess the undocked dogs get in to!

Dad has had springers for years and has always insisted that the tail is docked quite long, so they can wag like crazy, but short enough not to exceed the side of the body -so they won't get damaged in the field.

A friend went to help him take the last litter to the vet and they were suprised how little it effected the pups. As at a few days old their nervous systems have not developed completely.

A remember in the news not long ago some kids were prosecuted under the new laws for docking pups - at a few weeks old!! And yes they did alot of damage!But watch the CDB web site (www.cdb.co.uk) for info on whether it is eventualy made totally illegal.
--- End quote ---

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree that puppies' nervous systems are not developed at a few days old. This is a myth and used to strengthen the pro docking movement. I'm personally of the opinion that some dogs might well need to be docked, but it should be done by a professional and under hygenic conditions with an anasthetic.  Working dogs may well benefit from being docked, and I'll defer to everyone's experience on that.

<<Advocates of tail docking claim that it does not cause pain or discomfort, as the nervous system of puppies is not fully developed. This is not the case. The basic nervous system of a dog is fully developed at birth and the available evidence indicates that puppies have similar, if not increased, sensitivity to pain as adult dogs. Docking a puppy's tail involves cutting through muscles, tendons, up to seven pairs of highly sensitive nerves and severing bone and cartilage connections. Tail docking is usually carried out without any anaesthesia. Puppies give repeated intense shrieking vocalisations the moment the tail is cut off and during stitching of the wound, indicating that they experience substantial pain. Inflammation and damage to the tissues also cause ongoing pain while the wound heals.>>

EDITED to add : This quote above comes from the RSPCA website, position on tail docking, link
 http://www.rspca.org.au/campaigns/taildocking.htm

Shona                    

cbabe:

--- Quote ---
I'm sorry, but I totally disagree that puppies' nervous systems are not developed at a few days old. This is a myth and used to strengthen the pro docking movement. I'm personally of the opinion that some dogs might well need to be docked, but it should be done by a professional and under hygenic conditions with an anasthetic.  Working dogs may well benefit from being docked, and I'll defer to everyone's experience on that.

Shona
--- End quote ---

Sorry - seen lots of puppies being docked and still agree with docking - when done by the pro's! - they do squeek but then they are more concerned with dinner than anything else!

From my experaince a day old pup is not self or spacially aware. At a week old they know they are being touched and can feel when they are being lifted - tensing as they are moved! Before that they don't twitch when touched - i'm only going on what i've seen!

How ever - before i come under attack for my beliefs - and yes i know it will happen - not all our puppies have been docked - if they are going into a lifestyle where it is not appropriate then they are left as so!                    

shonajoy:
Sorry - seen lots of puppies being docked and still agree with docking - when done by the pro's! - they do squeek but then they are more concerned with dinner than anything else!

From my experaince a day old pup is not self or spacially aware. At a week old they know they are being touched and can feel when they are being lifted - tensing as they are moved! Before that they don't twitch when touched - i'm only going on what i've seen!

How ever - before i come under attack for my beliefs - and yes i know it will happen - not all our puppies have been docked - if they are going into a lifestyle where it is not appropriate then they are left as so![/quote]

No one is attacking your beliefs, I'm merely pointing out that a statement you made regarding nervous systems not being fully formed is simply untrue.

I did say at the end of my post I am sure it is a valid thing to do, for working dogs for instance, but I simply cannot condone doing this with no anaesthetic. Rationalise all you want, but puppies have perfectly formed nervous systems, and feel the pain, when this is done with no painkilling medication. It's utter cruelty to do this to an animal if you are not a trained professional, and have no access to anaesthetics.

Shona

Shona                    

cbabe:
Excuse me - ours are done by the vet - properly!!!!  Have been for years - didn't i make that clear???                    

PennyB:
Now my grandfather in the 1930s used to dock his cockers tails himself with a quick bite—ouch :shock:                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version