Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

Treats

(1/3) > >>

pwhite48:
Hi all

I'm just trying to gague opinion on what you all use as treats?

I read lots of stuff on here and other sites about the effectiveness of treats with training, bedtime, toilet training etc. But what are the best treats to use, especially for puppies.

No doubt this is entirely subjective, but I've seen liver cake, gravy bones, fruit & veg, cheese mentioned and wondered what do the trick without piling on the calories  

In terms of brand names - and recommendations on what packets I should be picking up from my local pet store?

Thanks as always
Phil

ps - only 2 more days to go. Picking our pup us (at last!) on Thursday night                    

Gilly:
I wouldn't be inclined to give your puppy any treats at this age. Once you start rewarding every piece of good/correct behaviour with a treat, it doesn't take long before they want one everytime and will only perform for a treat. Plenty of praise is what i would use and don't get into the treat rut  :wink: You could use pieces of your dogs dry kibble as a small bite sized incentive and then introduce other things as pup gets older ie, fruit and veg etc. Butty expects something from me everytime she does a wee outside  :roll: :lol:  :lol:  :shock: I have had to resort to treats with recall, to make me more interesting to come back to  :shock:  :roll:                    

Mary:
I did (and still do occasionally) reward Lottie with small treats when she was younger.  I used very small pieces of cheese but often use liver cake now and she responded well to these when I was teaching her the basics.

As Gilly says though, they will constantly look for a reward once they are in that routine although I have managed to cut it out mostly.  I did reward Lottie for doing her business and even now at 15 months she will come in from the garden and stand looking at the cupboard :roll:  But, I don't reward her anymore and she seems to accept it :wink:

I also rewarded her on her recall which worked wonders (she'll do anything for food) and once she was well into the routine of returning, I gradually reduced the reward by praising her lots without a reward and then next time praise and reward.  I rarely take treats out with me now but she always returns when I call her (obviously in her mind there is always the slender chance that I may have a treat for her :wink: ) then loads of praise still.

I don't think you should ever take their actions for granted, I do and will always praise her for good behaviour, with or without a treat :wink:                    

Magic Star:
I have never given Indie a treat for toilet training incentive, just plenty of GOOD GIRL, OH YOU CLEVER BABY!!  in a silly voice :roll:   Much to the probable annoyance of my neighbours :wink:   With recall, I started with the treat, I used a small bit of carrot or a bit of cheese like Mary suggested.  Then as she gradually got the hang of it, I praised her with voice and strokes, and occasionaly I will give her a treat for returning.  

Gilly,thats great that Butty will  work for a piece of her kibble?  Indie just won't entertain her normal food as a treat :roll:  She just stands there looking at me as if to say, you expect me sit and stay for that :roll:  :?  But thats just probably Indie knowing that I will swap it for cheese if she wont work :wink:    Does anyone else have this problem?  

Good luck with the training, I am sure you will find wat works best for you and your pup!  Oh just thought of another treat I use its called Beef Jerkie, you can buy it from asda, and it breaks really easily into diddy pieces,  Indie would jump through hoops for that :)  (not literally)

Emma and Indie                    

Mary:
I would not advise to use treats as a reward for toilet training (it was desperation with me :roll: ) even though I'm way past doing that, Lottie still looks forlorn when I ignore her looking at the cupboard :roll:

Emma, Lottie would respond to kibble too...it's FOOD!!!  She would respond to anything hoping it may be edible :roll:                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version