Author Topic: In much need of a four legged friend  (Read 8845 times)

Offline mfarrar

• Site Member
In much need of a four legged friend
« on: January 21, 2008, 01:54:49 PM »
Hi all,

After having lived with dogs pretty much all my life im finding it hard to live without one now I have my own home. I grew up with Cav King Charles but I would like something different and having done a lot of reading up I think a Cocker would suit us better as they are more energetic. Both myself and my partner are very active.

Trying to decide now whether to go for a puppy or an older dog, I would like a puppy but we both work full time. We have lots of time to spare though and dont work long hours, I would be able to nip back home from work at lunches so we wouldn't have to leave a dog on its own for too long. I think initially I would take leave to get the dog adjusted, a couple of weeks or maybe even a month.

I would be grateful for some opinions/adivse.

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
Re: In much need of a four legged friend
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL, it's addictive on this site.

I have 2 Cockers one 8yrs old and one 2.5 yrs old, both were rescues.  If you look at our rescue section there are always Cockers needing great homes and if you work, a slightly older one may be more suitable for you. 

Whatever route you choose to take, good luck.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline clarey-doll

• Limited Member
  • my 2 angels Lady and Skye
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 02:03:42 PM »
Hi welcome to col  ;)

i am owned by Lady 1 year old working cocker  ;) :luv:

and to say she is energetic is an under statement :005:

if you were to get a cocker id say a working one  :luv:

they have alot of energy and always up for a walk,run with the ball etc :D

check out the working group on here it will give you more advise  ;)

hope that helps  ;)

Offline mfarrar

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 02:57:41 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL, it's addictive on this site.

I have 2 Cockers one 8yrs old and one 2.5 yrs old, both were rescues.  If you look at our rescue section there are always Cockers needing great homes and if you work, a slightly older one may be more suitable for you. 

Whatever route you choose to take, good luck.

Hi Louise,

I have contacted my local cocker rescue and given them my number. Have you had any behaviour problems with your rescue dogs? Im a little worried about about them, not really knowing the history, treatment from previous owner & health if it has come from a puppy farm. Would it being a rescue dog make things difficult when it comes to insurance?

Offline mfarrar

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 03:00:20 PM »
Hi welcome to col  ;)

i am owned by Lady 1 year old working cocker  ;) :luv:

check out the working group on here it will give you more advise  ;)

hope that helps  ;)

Hi Clarey,

What are the differences with a working cocker apart from the extra energy?

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 03:04:15 PM »
Hi and welcome  :D ...hope you find a special cocker soon.  I have two blue roans and am sure once you have a cocker   you will be addicted  ;) :luv:

Not experienced in working cockers, mine are show type, but there are lots of members on here with workers and I'm sure they will be along to help soon  :D
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 03:08:31 PM »
Just to say that show-type Cockers also have plenty of energy so don't imagine they are couch potatoes and working Cockers are the only choice if you are active people ;) If you do a search on the forum (Search button is towards the top of your screen), you'll find plenty of threads on the differences between show-type and working Cockers. In the end, it's a question of personal preference but neither type is "better" than the other - it's just a case of what you're looking for in a dog and what kind of home you can offer.

PS I don't want to put a dampener on your enthusiasm but a quick visit home at lunchtime would not be enough for a Cocker puppy or even a young adult so you might have to look into employing a dog walker or sitter for at least part of the day if you are both working full time.
Jane

Offline mfarrar

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 03:32:28 PM »
Just to say that show-type Cockers also have plenty of energy so don't imagine they are couch potatoes and working Cockers are the only choice if you are active people ;) If you do a search on the forum (Search button is towards the top of your screen), you'll find plenty of threads on the differences between show-type and working Cockers. In the end, it's a question of personal preference but neither type is "better" than the other - it's just a case of what you're looking for in a dog and what kind of home you can offer.

PS I don't want to put a dampener on your enthusiasm but a quick visit home at lunchtime would not be enough for a Cocker puppy or even a young adult so you might have to look into employing a dog walker or sitter for at least part of the day if you are both working full time.

Hi Jane,

My plan is to walk the dog first thing in the morning so hopefully it would sleep until lunch when I would take it out again and then another walk when I finish. I am back at four 3 days and earlier for two so not long hours. My partner works from home sometimes too so that would help.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 03:45:05 PM »
My plan is to walk the dog first thing in the morning so hopefully it would sleep until lunch when I would take it out again and then another walk when I finish. I am back at four 3 days and earlier for two so not long hours. My partner works from home sometimes too so that would help.

That routine wouldn't work with a puppy as they need much more attention than this but it could work with an adult as long as he/she was happy to be left alone for a fair amount of time (not all Cockers are). If you are considering a rescue Cocker, a reputable rescue would ensure that only dogs suitable for your lifestyle would be offered to you so do go via this route rather than private ads in newspapers/websites.

Jane

Offline mfarrar

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 04:41:40 PM »
Yeah when I spoke to my local rescue they said they would take that into account.

At what age is a dog generally considered to be an adult?

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 04:46:33 PM »
At what age is a dog generally considered to be an adult?

Technically a year old is considered adult, although cockers (and many other breeds) continue to mature and fill out until 2 (and sometimes later)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 10:02:49 PM »
That was why I was thinking of a rescue Cocker that wasn't a puppy because of your working situation.  Myself and OH both work but seem to manage our hours around the dogs so they're not left for more than 3-4 hours at a time.  Of course, we have had the odd exception but OH made sure he came back at lunch time to let them out or he took them in his van with him.

My 2 show types have plenty of energy, even my 8yr old will still happily go all day.  My 2.5yr old is a handful at times and I took him on knowing that he had behavioural issues (he suffers from fear aggression because of ill treatment) but not all rescues have issues.  Most are absolutely fine with everything.  It makes no difference to insure a dog whether it's a rescue or not.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 10:15:02 PM »
My OH and I work F/T and we successfully managed to raise Molo as a pup - with the help of flexi-time, staggered lunch breaks and pet sitters  :D

It CAN be done - it is incredibly hard work at first, and requires significant investment both in time and money (pet sitters and take-outs when you are too tired too cook  ;)).

We took staggered time off work when he arrived, so he had a month to settle in; by which time he was happy to settle for a hour or two twice a day - with visits from me, OH, and a pet-sitter several times a day for wee's, play and training  ;) As he got older, we gradually increased the time between visits - and now, we manage without a sitter unless one of us is working away  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 10:51:14 PM »

The first and third statements would be pretty much why I would say that a working cocker would not be the best choice for you with your current circumstances. They are lovely dogs but they are bred as working gundogs and are extremely active. They have a lot of energy and therefore aren't really suited to being left home most of the day with just a quick lunchtime visit. I have 3 working cockers and I work but they go to daycare all day with someone who is experienced with cockers, including workers (she has one). It costs a fortune, it's like a second mortgage but I wouldn't be able to have them otherwise, they are too active and need too much stimulation to be left at home alone most of the day. In your situation I would think that a slightly older rescue show cocker, or even pair of show cockers would be a much better option.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline mfarrar

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 08:04:32 AM »
I will certainly keep my eyes open for a rescue dog. I imagine the problem free young ones are quite hard to get hold of, and with us being a working couple im guessing we will goto the bottom of the pile for potential adopters.

Are cockers quite bad for being left on their own? What I read on the internet said the likelyhood of distress when left is low, I suppose it depends a lot on the individual dog.

My parents have had both king charles from young puppies, both work and have never had problems. They have both been very happy good natured dogs.