Cocker Specific Discussion > Behaviour & Training

male neutering

(1/5) > >>

Anonymous:
Hi

My 15 month old boy is extremely boisterous but also a bit of an escapologist. We have had to check all the garden thoroughly, if he could find the smallest gap he would be out and off down the road at every opportunity (looking for ladies i presume!! ;)).

I have been told that if I have him castrated this will calm him down and stop him wanting to roam. Is this true? Has anyone else had the same problem? If i do have him 'done' :-[ what other difference could it make to him?

Any advice much appreciated.

Nicky                    

Anonymous:
Sorry. Just realised i put my questions under the wrong heading!!! Its nothing to do with grooming ::)                    

Jane S:
Not a problem Nicky - I've moved you to Behaviour :) As to whether castration will curb your boy's escapologist tendencies, it may do but don't bank on it. We had a bitch once who was always trying to go walkabout, digging under fences & the like & in her case, it was for the sheer fun of it - she certainly wasn't after any boys ;D One suggestion would be to try "chemical castration" ie a hormone injection which mimics the effects of neutering & would tell you whether the operation is likely to have the effect you want. This injection generally lasts for around 3 weeks - long enough to see if your boy does calm down & stop his wandering ways. Ask your vet about this - the hormone injection used is called "Tardak"

If you opt for neutering, then possible side effects are a thicker, woollier coat & a tendency to put on weight (though this can be countered by feeding a low calorie diet)

Jane                    

Pammy:
I had my boy "tardak'd" on Tuesday - not for wandering - he doesn't do that - but to try and curb his excessive jealousy against my younger boy. The beauty is that you can see if it will solve your problem before embarking on the road of no return that may not solve your problem anyway.

I'll let you all know how Jasper goes on over the coming few weeks. You might like to see how it goes for us Nicky.

Pam n the boys                    

Michele:
Can I just ask out of interest if there is a female equivalent to Tardak?                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version