Author Topic: Refuses to be Brushed - UGH!  (Read 591 times)

Offline Kick

• I love my blankee...
Refuses to be Brushed - UGH!
« on: February 27, 2008, 07:26:26 PM »
Helloooo people...

I mentioned this in another thread yesterday but this is really becoming an issue for us to the point where we are all out of options.

Henry has refused since he was 9 weeks old to allow a brush near him.  He barks, tries to get to it and if we do resort to Dad holding him down and me brushing him, he is a complete b***** about it and struggles to get away.

We have tried everything - being gentle with him and introducing the brush so he knows it's nice; stroking him so he enjoys being groomed; letting him go at his own pace... nothing works.

He really doesn't seem to like being fussed!

He will lie next to you for warmth and cuddles when he is tired but as for being stroked, he will actually get up and walk off if you start to fuss him!

It is the weirdest thing I have ever seen in a cocker.

He also hates bathtime.  We ignore the behaviour, the winges and whines and pretend like nothing is wrong, just talking calmly all the while to calm him but he just stands terrified and tries to escape.

As a consequence, he doesn't cope well at all with being clipped.  He was clipped two days ago and I don't think he has forgiven us yet... he spent the whole time crying and wet himself twice.  We are really careful to not get involved or be anywhere near him when he is being clipped so that the groomer can do his job but he is genuinely petrified every time we go and I can't help thinking it is all linked to his hatred of being brushed etc.

There was a 5 month old blue roan bitch in before us last time and she just wagged her tail and had her tongue hanging out all the way through - no problem at all!

I have analysed my behaviour and am fairly sure I am not too protective but you guys might see differently!

Pls be honest and tell me what you think! Any advice on how to get him past this would be fantastic.  He is only 7 months so hopefully it won't be a case of not being able to teach old dogs new tricks...!

Thanks a mill xx

Offline ladylola

• Donator
Re: Refuses to be Brushed - UGH!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 07:38:52 PM »
Sasha was like this hated being groomed. What are you trying to groom him on. He needs to be put on a table, worktop or some people use a ironing board. I got some one to feed her treats whilst I brushed her.I did have to use a muzzle [ and still do if she has knots]  She didn't mind this infact it seemed to calm her down. I don't need any help now and she gets the treat when we are done. When she went to the grooming parlour we wern't allowed to stay, I think the dogs behave better when we are not around. I do all my grooming and clip her myself now.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 08:03:07 PM »

I agree with ladylola...if you are trying to brush him on the floor it will be 10 times worse...table with a non slip mat or ironing board is the best bet...Lola hates being brushed and used to try and launch herself off the table so i took it really slowly...just putting her on the table with the mat and no brushes around,just stroking and talking to her whilst giving her treats..and just repeating all of that with brushes beside her...brushes in my hand...one stroke of the brush then a treat...next day 2 strokes then a treat...you get the picture...you do have to take it slowly...she still isnt keen now  but i can  do a whole brush without her trying to leap off the table and i found squeezy cheese helps  ;)

if someone can feed him squeezy cheese while you do the above its a great distraction  :D

My other cocker was the same to start with but now she will let me do a full brush..20 mins...and just get a treat at the end...

mine too hate the bath and will try to escape but its just one of those things they have to deal with and i try to be as quick as possible as i found they wont even take treats whilst in the bath...also a non slip bathmat in the bath makes them feel a bit more secure so they are not sliding everywhere ...

Offline Ellie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 08:04:29 AM »
My Daisy is similar to your Henry as far as brushing goes. 

From when Daisy was a puppy I introduced the brush calmly, making it a nice experience then got to the point of OH holding her while I did some grooming and ended up posting on here asking if showing the whites of her eyes and practically foaming at the mouth while being groomed was normal  ph34r .

We've tried everything we can think of, and my stepdaughter who is gentle and has the patience of a saint has tried to get her to accept some  grooming to no avail.

Well, I now take Daisy to the groomers regularly and leave it to them.  Apparently she is as good as gold for them and they do a nice job of her  :luv: .