Author Topic: Working Gundog Certificate?  (Read 1363 times)

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
Working Gundog Certificate?
« on: May 22, 2008, 10:26:09 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone has taken this KC test with their dog?  I have a copy of the leaflet, but am wondering exactly what the spaniels need to do?

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Working Gundog Certificate?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
I've applied for Rodaidh to take the WGC test later on this year although I'm still waiting for confirmation of an exact date and location for an assessment day that we can get to. I haven't got all the bumpf handy just now but if I remember correctly there is off lead walking, a simulated drive where they have to hunt under control, wait at peg and hunt for seen and unseen dummies. There are two marked retrieves from water and over a fence and he also has to sit and wait while I go and pick up myself. It's basically anything they might need to do on an actual shoot day.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 08:57:42 PM »
Thanks Nicola.  So spaniels do have the water retrieve  ;)

Do you know how the 'hunt' works?  Is a dummy laid out for them to find?  Please forgive me if these questions seem very basic/obvious.  I have never trained a dog for field work before, but am considering training my pup for her certificate.  My background is in obedience/working trials, so the closest to a 'hunt' I have ever taught a dog is to search for 'articles' in a marked out 'square', and to follow a human scent track  ph34r .

Wishing you the best of luck with Rodaidh's test.  I am sure he will do great  :blink:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 09:57:01 PM »
The hunting is just as they would be expected to quarter if out beating on a shoot to show steadiness, control and (hopefully!) style. There won't be any dummies for them to look for at that stage, it's just to show how well they can cover and hunt a patch of ground. Then after this you bring them back in to you and send them out to hunt for the seen and unseen dummies followed by the obstacle retreives and the stay.

You should definitely give it a go, if you've taught your dog to search for things and pick up scents already you should be able to adapt that to teach her to hunt in this way  :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 10:22:19 PM »
Thanks Nicola  :D  Really good to know what we would be aiming for if we do take the test.  I havent taught her much yet, but I'd like to train her for something, and I think gundog type work might suit her.  It sounds like fun! 

I think Storm (who already understands nosework) would adapt well to gundog work, and enjoy it, but as with working trials it will be the jumps and the 'getting wet' that she finds difficult  ph34r