Cocker Specific Discussion > Behaviour & Training

Unreliable off lead

<< < (3/3)

Louise:
How do I know when it's safe to try Jazzy Monster off the lead in a open place, in the garden and the house it's about 70/30 on whether she will come to you...I haven't felt brave enough yet to try her outside yet.                    

joanne:
Hi Louise,

I was exactly the same with Jenna, and I think I asked Jane the same question.  

I made sure I took her to an enclosed field, there were no roads nearby and I could see where she went.  I also took along my children for help if I needed it (or for moral support).

I took the crunch and let her off the lead only to find she didnt leave my side. :D

Now however she loves to go and investigate and trots off all over the place, but because I have always called her back quite often, and given her lots of praise and the odd treat she always comes back to me when I call her.  There has been the odd time however when she has seen one of her pals in the field that she ignores me a bit (or chasing a bird), but touch wood she has never gone out of site.

Hope this gives you a bit more confidence Louise, Jane will no doubt give you some good advice too!                    

Jane S:
I can't add much to your good advice Joanne - think you've covered most things  :) It's best to start letting a pup off the lead sooner rather than later - a young pup is more likely to stay close by & so you will find recall training easier. As Joanne says, keep calling Jazz to you on & off but don't always put her back on the lead or sometimes put her on the lead & then after a "Sit" exercise, let her off again. Use treats to begin with if you like but don't always give her one, keep her guessing  :) The special toy to use only on walks is also a good "habit" to get into -  call Jazz to you & when she comes, have a little game with the special toy (but don't let her have the toy all the time - you decide when she has access to it!)

Good luck!                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version