Author Topic: Beating?  (Read 4057 times)

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
Re: Beating?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 01:53:18 PM »
Go without the dog first time round make sure you wear waterproof clothing that will protect you from brambles (jeans won't do the job) and give you the option to either be warm or cold (you get cold standing around and warm walking around be prepared for both), take two pairs of socks with you so you don't get sore feet and wear practical shoes that don't rub your feet, if you need new ones break them in now.  Cut yourself a stick of about waste height (a coppiced tree type is best) dry it out in the airing cupboard you'll need it either as support or to  bash the brambles.  Have a bit of a practise run, if you have a local woods to you come off the path and see how you fair going in a straight line through the undergrowth... its an eye opener :005:

If you haven't done any gundog training there is still time go along to a local class explain what you might be doing and ask for some help with the basics.  You could also go along to a clay shoot to see if he's ok with gunfire, not all dogs are its good to be prepared.  Ideally if you do take him don't let him off the lead unless the keeper specifically says that its ok to do so.  I've seen several dogs disappearing off into the distance after a bird as they haven't had the pretraining required but also some fabulous dogs that have taken to it like a duck to water.

The only other thing I would suggest is if you do go ask to be paired with someone who is experienced to show you the ropes most keepers will do that anyway but it does help if you have to dispatch something and are not quite sure how or wish to do so.  Good luck have fun and welcome to the world of working you'll love it!!! :shades:

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 07:31:13 PM »
Hi, Found this site and its Great...

Nice to see you interested in going beating! Its a great way to take your dog out and let it do what it enjoys doing.

I now have my Working cocker (Bramble)... She is great and real sweet.

See ya in the woods soon!

Dunk & Homer. . . oh and Bramble.

Glad to see you found us, is Bramble out yet? been looking out for you...

Louie is a pain in the a*** at the moment, don't think the guys would let us within 20 miles of them  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Dunk

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 12:22:51 AM »
Hi..... Ace

Taking Bram out in the Mornings at the Mo for about half hour, and then she sleeps for England.

Homer loves her and just sits in his basket getting bitten and jumped all over, he loves it.
He is also on real good when out, think he is trying to show me he is still no.1

Hope to see ya soon.... Dunk.

Offline Dunk

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 12:26:51 AM »
This pic lark is great.....

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 12:34:23 AM »

Offline Dunk

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 12:43:46 PM »
Ooop's

Got a bit carried away with the pic thing.... stuck them in photo section now. (ta! for link).

Back to beating, do it its great, dogs need to come back 100% though, they go well hyper once they are among the sent of pheasants.

its the first time Homer has ever been real tired after a real good day out.

Dunk.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 12:50:17 PM »
I'll talk to you and Paul about coming to watch next time I see you  ;)

You've seen Louie in action (he's the mucky Blue roan) not sure that his energy can be challenged  :-\

Offline Dunk

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 04:32:48 PM »
Great!

I thought Paul's dog Jem was good down the woods but she is real hard work when out beating, she goes mad!

And Homer just is always mad!

Dunk.