Author Topic: chasing birds  (Read 1182 times)

Offline AnnH

• Site Member
chasing birds
« on: November 07, 2008, 02:10:18 PM »
Hi,I need help with my show cocker (I know I am writting in the working section),she is just over a year old has her bronze and sliver good citizens award however I cannot stop her from chasing birds,we live by the sea and I cannot let her off lead as she will chase the seagulls,at the canal she goes after ducks, in the park anything that flys she goes completly deaf to anything I say. So I just wondered how you good people get your dogs to listen and stop when you are working them.I really would like to get this stopped as she rarely comes off lead as I know she will not come back if she sees a bird.Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline nicolatong

• Limited Member
Re: chasing birds
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 04:51:42 PM »
Hi Ann

Im a newbie too!!!
But when i got my working cocker as i already have a workingxshow cocker a friend of mine who works helped me? He got me to buy a proper dog whistle mine is a 211 and 1/2 this was the best thing i did!!! get your dog to sit with one whistle start by doing this when you feed your dog
and recall with two (or four loud blasts as i do)!!!! start with throwing a ball and do recall whistle when your dog is already coming back and then give loads of praise and treats to start with  :D they soon learn to recall to whistle better than shouting in a panic as i used to :lol2:
my  pup who is five/six months old will recall after flushing pheasents or if she sees other dogs now
I hope this is some help as i say im a novice myself but this has helped me