Author Topic: is no-one working there dogs.............?  (Read 5790 times)

Offline millrace

is no-one working there dogs.............?
« on: November 27, 2008, 09:43:13 PM »
just as this is the working section was kinda expecting to hear about how you were all doing now its the middle of the season and all......

so to get started ......tia just bout yr old in few days had her first day out last week on local shoot im a member of...nothing to much thought we would just keep her at a distance but of she went flushed her first birds to the guns and then proceeded to show some much older and supposedly better trained "springers" just how to do it....much to my amusement... :D

tho the rather larger weim did ceem quite amused but this tiny fast brown thing that was sniffing her.......!!!!!
you don't train a working cocker......you negociate!!

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
Re: is no-one working there dogs.............?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 09:58:52 PM »
Not taken the small one out on any big shoots yet this year (we tend to do most of our shooting over the Christmas period and after) I did take him out on some shoots last year when he was about 7/8 months old and he was the best behaved dog on the shoots, and the cutest!  :luv: He was definitely ready for his first taster at that age, in fact on one of the pheasant shoots he found and dragged back to me a large cock bird which all of the other dogs had failed to find (I sent him into the cover after all of the other dogs had given up) He also flushed a rabbit and plonked his bum straight on the ground, the same can't be said for all of the other spaniels in the beating line  ph34r

Anyway, so far his year I have taken him out duck/goose flighting and he was a star. He brought back a goose that was twice the size of him from the middle of the lake and also managed to track and catch an injured duck from the water (I had to dispatch it :-\ as the Mosscule doesn't munch his retrieves  :blink: ).

The main thing that's stopping me taking him out more is the amount of work that I have on my plate at the moment. Once I have my degree out of the way my little Moss will be out and about a lot more  :blink:

Mary xxx

PS: Your Tia sounds like a little gem!  :luv:

Offline millrace

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 10:19:36 PM »
occasional gem thats often threatened with being sacked.........lol

was very happy she if our first dog and there fore first go at training so  was nice to see we were doing something rite...

we shoot duck every 2  wks over flight pond so she has been at it as it is less formal and there is nothing she can really do wrong....helped her get used to the guns and falling birds,,,, the last nite we were out first gun shot two mallard on our blind side and off she went for what ceemed ages and then came back, and just as i was about to give off for as i thought going for a swim, when she came rite in with big drake firmly in mouth was such a great retrive as she hadnt ceen where it landed at least 25 yds over and behind her......
funny how the good always makes you forget the bad days where there just "dont listen"...... :D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 11:29:04 AM »
I had mine out a few times at the start of the season but life is getting in the way of it for me just now and I just haven't had time in the last few weeks. I do need to get them back out again asap, especially Rodaidh as this is his first season and he did brilliantly on the couple of shoots I have actually managed to get him to but it's just not the best time right now.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline millrace

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 05:37:33 PM »
ahh the time verse's living life and enjoying things........query...

make time for things you enjoy otherwise you'll always spend to much time doing things you dont....... :D

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 09:25:46 AM »
mines worked but I'm on baby growing duty this season so no shoot for us this season >:( :'(

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 09:30:54 AM »
Unfortunately I'm out of action unless I can find a mid week shoot

Ooooo roll on a new job with weekends off

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 09:35:49 AM »
worth asking on nobs I work usually 6 days a week

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 03:18:57 PM »
mines worked but I'm on baby growing duty this season so no shoot for us this season >:( :'(

Is that baby growing or puppy growing Tasha  :o :D

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 06:23:23 PM »
baby... I am far better at puppies they are certainly alot easier than this.  Am about four months and so far have spent most of that in hospital, so its bed rest for me till April >:(

In the meantime I'm cultivating a pigeon outside the window for flushing when I can finally get back to training.  Am sure my keeper doesn't miss me though but does keep ringing up to ask if he can borrow the dogs!! Cheeky begger :005:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 06:29:46 PM »
baby... I am far better at puppies they are certainly alot easier than this.  Am about four months and so far have spent most of that in hospital, so its bed rest for me till April >:(

aaww congratulations  :luv:

Sorry about the bed rest  >:(  but it will be worth it  :D

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 09:29:52 PM »
we are out most weekends beating and loving every minute of it, little Dobbie is beating really well these days and is a cracking picking up dog too

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 03:17:45 PM »
thanks  :luv:  Funny really though the things you miss, never thought I would say I missed getting up at 5am to get the dogs ready drive myself to the shoot do a bit of dogging in to make sure the birds are in the right place, go meet the guns and rest of the team, get drenched in the rain, shouted at by the keeper whose having a panic attack (don't worry he shouts at everyone  :005:) freeze my bottom off legging it round the ponds after pricked ducks....... can't wait for next season :005: :005:

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 11:12:23 PM »
  :005: :005:

Wherry has been out a few times and has done really well. Last Saturday she had a battle with a runner again.  :005:
I love how much she loves it  :luv:
We've got quite a few days at home after Christmas so I'm hoping to get her out beating on my days off which I think will be good for both of us after the Xmas indulgence  ;)
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 12:05:55 AM »
OH was rough shooting rabbits and he had liath picking up.
 and pepper tracked some deer for him as well as they are coming into his reseed and he wanted to know where from. reckon we will be eating venison soon. ;)