Author Topic: Lucy is coming back!! - Lucy is home - Im so sorry  (Read 9963 times)

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
Re: Spoke to soon, Lucy is coming back!!
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 09:37:02 PM »

It can take more than a couple of days or weeks to settle a dog into a new regime.

I can relate to this - we have had Charlie 8 months now and he has only just got into our nightime/morning routine.  It can take a long time.  Dont get me wrong the nightimes as such werent a major problem as he would settle but from very early on in the morning he started to howl - thankfully and only in the last couple of weeks he isnt doing this  :D

Apologies if this was covered in your last thread, but has Lucy been like this for the entire time that you have had her or did it start (or get worse) when you got Lemmy ??  I only ask because I was just wondering whether she might thrive being an only dog  :huh:

I feel for you having to make an incredibly difficult decision

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 09:47:07 PM »

It can take more than a couple of days or weeks to settle a dog into a new regime.

I can relate to this - we have had Charlie 8 months now and he has only just got into our nightime/morning routine.  It can take a long time.  Dont get me wrong the nightimes as such werent a major problem as he would settle but from very early on in the morning he started to howl - thankfully and only in the last couple of weeks he isnt doing this  :D

Apologies if this was covered in your last thread, but has Lucy been like this for the entire time that you have had her or did it start (or get worse) when you got Lemmy ??  I only ask because I was just wondering whether she might thrive being an only dog  :huh:

I feel for you having to make an incredibly difficult decision

Hiya, Lucy has been like this since we got her, she was very challenging as a pup and I spoke to her breeder on more than one occasion about her behaviour, at five months old I was pulling my hair out with her and came very close to letting the breeder have her back but we persevered and persevered we have for 3 1/2 years, because of her pacing and whining we discussed it for a long time and thought it was boredom and she was anxious after her pups had gone, so we thought another dog would be the answer  ::) hence Lemmy she is no worse or no better since we got Lemmy, but the playfighting was getting a bit out of control think Lucy was just putting him in his place  :-\

She loves other dogs and plays lovely when out walking or running and is fine with Mum and Dads dog I dont think he is though, he really does like being the only dog, I think that could be a big factor for why Mum and Dad are asking me to collect her, which I totally understand their dog is their baby.

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 09:52:09 PM »
Sorry to hear this, it must be a really difficult time for you all right now  :-\

Have you tried setting aside a couple of days and take her out for really long walks, swimming retrieving etc and really really try and tire her out and see if the whining etc stops?  Sorry if you have already done this, I haven't seen your previous threads  :blink:

Offline ehenry

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 10:32:09 PM »
I really hope that things are different when Lucy comes back as you are having such a stressful time, when you should all be enjoying being together .Will be thinking of you .

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 06:41:30 AM »
i have to agree with joanne-v about giving up on her so easliy, i expect your parents were going to keep her just to help you out, something as simple as letting her sleep in the bedroom would probably have solved the night time thing, i know some people seem to find that a problem, but its really down to the individuals , i dont think tiring her out will do it as they just dont get tired like us  . with 2 of mine i could do a 4 hr walk but 10 mins later they would be ready to go again  ::)could you maybe do agility to mentally stimulate  her .could there be a underlying medical problem here, i expect you have taken her to the vets ,sorry seem to be clutching at straws , but i do feel for you ,i really hope you can find a solution as they cant tell us what is wrong in their lives and its so hard to work it out sometimes,
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline black taz

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 04:54:38 PM »
sorry to hear that you are still having problems.  Do you think some of it could be down to your anxiety and parent expectations now? 

sorry can't be any help - is there a trigger? 

Would she be any happier if you homed her outdoors? 

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 05:06:07 PM »
Maybe as you have had a short break from Lucy, when she comes back you could try afresh  :blink: Are you a softy like me and does Lucy know it ? Could you be firmer with her ?
I wish you lots of luck, I know how some dogs can wear u down, my Bailey was a very difficult dog for 2 years and still can be at times  :-\ especially her dicating eating times and waking me up when she is ready early in the morning.

Jo

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 05:28:12 PM »
Hi

Im so sorry to hear what you are going through - it must be so stressful.

I was just wondering if you use a crate for her. Purdey gets very restless in the evenings and paces round the coffee table looking for trouble to cause - nicking sweet wrappers, nudging things off the table, chewing up kids toys etc. It is like she cant settle down. But we  shut her in her crate where she can still see us, and it calms her right down. (Sorry if you have already had this advice!) She seems to almost be relieved that we have taken the decision that it is time for her to rest, and will usually go very quiet.

Whatever you decide, we know you have her best interests at heart

Good luck

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 08:30:17 PM »

Not sure if this has been suggested but have you looked into T-Touch...its not as expensive as you think and once you are taught the basics its something you can continue at home...i was unsure about it and weather it would actually work but as far as i have seen with my 2 and the issues i was trying to overcome it has worked...it isn't a be all cure but it does as far as ive have seen have a effect   :huh:
really hope you find a solution that works for all  ;)

Offline BabyB

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 09:35:22 PM »
No advice, sorry.  But I do hope things get sorted - she sounds a lovely girl, and you sound a lovely owner ;)
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline black taz

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 10:19:13 PM »
what's t-touch?

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 11:09:11 PM »
 :-\  I'm so sorry you have this dilemma with Lucy and hope you can manage to resolve the situation. 

However, If you really can't do that, maybe she would be better rehomed, and that is no reflection on you, you do seem to have persevered for a long time with her and tried everything you can.

It may simply be that she is suited to a more outdoor active life, perhaps with someone who works outside and could take her with them every day?  :-\ as I think Joanne said.  :huh:

Whatever you do I hope things improve and you begin to feel better soon.
Take care Jann  :-*

Offline KatieJean

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 11:20:15 PM »
Sorry you are going through all this, don't have the knowledge to advise but hope things work out for you all in the end.

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 10:09:03 AM »
what's t-touch?

It is a system of massage and targeted touch developed by a US animal expert originally for horses, I think - the "T" stands for Tellington, the name of the woman who developed it.  I've only read small snippets about it and seen one demo at "Wag & Bone" a few years ago.  Roughly - that physical and emotional trauma/sensitivities/anxieties which the animal experiences are "held" within areas of its body, and correct massage/touch techniques enable you to identify problems, soothe the dog and help in its rehabilitation.

http://www.ttouch.com/whatisTTouch.shtml

Denise

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009, 01:15:09 PM »
Really sorry for you having to go through all this. You obviously love Lucy so much and want what's best for her as well as for you and your family.

Just a suggestion - and something I haven't had to try, so don't know if it's effective, but what about a body wrap? I read a bit about it in a link from the AgilityNet website and will have a look to see if I can find it again. I know that Equafleece do a dog t-shirt that can be used as a body wrap. Basically some dogs find it comforting and relaxing to have something like that really close to their skin, sort of hugging them. Maybe it would help calm Lucy down?