Author Topic: Anybody good at getting data off broken hard drive ???  (Read 929 times)

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Anybody good at getting data off broken hard drive ???
« on: January 17, 2009, 01:54:18 PM »
Hi Guys

Is there anybody out there that can help.

I bought a new laptop at the end of June last year and I'm now on to my second hard drive - first one went and now the replacement has gone too.  The problem I've got is that I stupidly didn't copy any of my photo's to disk so have lost them all.  So I'm hoping that one of my fellow COLers might have somebody that could help me out.  I've had a rough estimate that it could cost around £200 to retrieve this data.

HELP

Thanks

Dessie xx
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

QuietScribe

Re: Anybody good at getting data off broken hard drive ???
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 06:02:06 PM »
Have you tried data retrieval software?  You can download some of them free.  I don't know how successful they are, but its worth a shot if the alternative is £200.
Check some of these out and see if they are any good, you will likely need a working hard drive in order to get the info off the old one though. 
http://www.download.com/1770-2018_4-0.html?query=data+retrieval&searchtype=downloads&filter=licenseName=Free|platform=Windows&filterName=licenseName=Free|platform=Windows&tag=ltcol

If you are having this much trouble with hard drives on your laptop, isnt it covered under its warranty?  You have had it less than a year.  Also, if this has happened twice now, it might be some other problem that is causing this.  I am no expert, but it isnt that common to have two successive hard drives fry like this. 

Personally I would check around different places to see how much they are charging for data retrieval, as many places will charge extra.  I wouldn't recommend going to somewhere like PC world as in my experience, they are rather lacking in it it.  You are better going to a laptop repair shop, perhaps a small independant one rather than a chain of some sort.  I have had good experiences with them, plus they need to offer competative prices in order to stay in business, especially in this current climate.   Might be that they could find out if there is any underlying problem to.

Offline superscot

• Donator
Re: Anybody good at getting data off broken hard drive ???
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 10:51:14 PM »
Dessie will email my mate ...who had a similar problem and he used a program to pull back all the data...will mail him now !