Author Topic: Hi from Edinburgh  (Read 7263 times)

QuietScribe

Re: Hi from Edinburgh
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 09:17:45 PM »
Its a conspiracy! You are all trying to make me get a greyhound/lurcher instead!

*chuckle* In all honesty, nothing is set in stone, it is all about finding a dog that will be happy in my home.  I love cockers, and that would be my first choice now, but I suppose I would learn to love boney elbows with the right dog. 

You all seem much more knowlegable about dogs and such than me. 

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 09:21:23 PM »
Lol, just trying to help  ;) I work with spaniel, lurcher and greyhound rescues so can highly recommend them. My honest opinion would be that for anyone living in a flat who isnt that energetic, they would be better suited to a greyhound/whippet/calm lurcher than a noisy mad cocker. If you PM me on here and tell me roughly what your requirements are I can check all the local rescues to see if there are any suitable dogs. No pressure though!

Jo

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 09:24:16 PM »
Coco is a show cocker and she is certainly not a quiet dog - in fact she is a right gobby little madam  ::)  Anyone on here who has met her will confirm this.  :005:  All cockers are different but as a breed I don't think they would normally be described as quiet.  :005:

And as for energy, she would be on the go all day long given the chance - she really needs a good couple of hours of energetic exercise to be happy.  ;)  She is pretty good in the evenings though and will just snooze in her bed.  :luv:  She can be quite stroppy though if she has not been kept busy enough and she will get into all sorts of mischief  >:( - some people have a lazy dog but cockers are generally pretty high energy.  After all that is what they are bred for, to be out in the field and working all day - working cockers are more energetic generally but show cockers are still more lively than the average dog IMHO  ;)

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear but you really do not want to live with a frustrated cocker   :-\ ph34r
Julie and Watson

QuietScribe

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 09:45:52 PM »
I know only too well how noisy and energetic some cockers can be, but older cockers can be needing of a quiet home, which is what I was really hoping for.  Its why I didn't opt for getting a puppy despite having the time.  I have also met very placid and silent-as-a-mouse cockers of only 1 year old, so I have hope.

Still, we will see what will happen.  The woman I spoke to on the phone about rescue cockers seemed to think that there was a good chance to find me one that suited since I was willing to take an older dog. 

I would not rule out any dog really, as long as the temperment suited, I just have preferences, as we all do :)

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
Jo has all manner of dogs - show cocker, worker AND lurchers.....plus, she lives near you. Jo - I think you should lend him each of yours in turn and then all 3 breeds / types can be evaluated.  :lol2:

It's lovely to see how much thought you've put in to this - it IS really important that you and your new pal are well matched.

Good luck in your search - hope to read that you've found THE one very soon.
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

QuietScribe

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 10:30:54 PM »
I have seen what happens when people arnt really hoest about their own limits, and what they can offer a dog.  I know I amn't the most energetic person, and I certainly know my flat isn't big, but with a quiet settled dog, that wouldn't be a problem.  With luck human and hound will find a life mutually compatible :)

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
I know only too well how noisy and energetic some cockers can be,

You've heard my Harvey then  ::)  I doubt there isn't many people in Edinburgh that haven't  ph34r

Welcome to COL, and look forward to hearing about any new addition very soon  ;)
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

QuietScribe

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 10:52:11 PM »
You've heard my Harvey then  ::)  I doubt there isn't many people in Edinburgh that haven't  ph34r

Oh was -that- who the barking belonged to?! hehe

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 11:14:22 PM »
QS, well done you for wanting an older dog.  Patience required - it took months and months before the right dog found us.

Seriously though, you know COL is a front for a big greyhound conspiracy and I must add my 3 cents worth.  Although we have 2 cockers (and our showy one hardly ever barked until the worker came along to wind her up a bit), our son has two rescue greyhounds and they are the laziest, soppiest, sweetest dogs imaginable, although they do take up a sofa apiece when on their backs waggling their legs in the air.  I've never heard them bark and are no problem when staying with us and don't seem to need much off-leash exercise.  If too big for you, a whippet might do the trick.

QuietScribe

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 11:30:43 PM »
*laughs* yes! a conspiracy!

I don't mind sharing my home with a large dog if its the right one, but many rescue places might not like rehoming a large dog to a small flat.  That is my only concern on that count.

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 07:03:14 PM »

I don't mind sharing my home with a large dog if its the right one, but many rescue places might not like rehoming a large dog to a small flat.  That is my only concern on that count.
I don't know either but son with greyhounds has a miniscule railway cottage in Swindon.

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 07:04:10 PM »

I don't know either but son with greyhounds has a miniscule railway cottage in Swindon.

Greyhounds suit flats far better than any other big dogs so that wont worry a rescue  ;)

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline craigfleur

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 08:50:20 PM »
hello and welcome  - good luck with your search

QuietScribe

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 12:44:48 AM »
Thanks.  Not sure I will hear anything in the near future, but ill keep you all updated

QuietScribe

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 05:30:39 PM »
Thanks, though I have no idea now if I will end up with a cocker, or a greyhound as there seems to be far more greyhounds needing homes than cockers at the moment due to racing.  Still, we will see.  I just have to stay strong and not fall into the trap of calling a breeder about a puppy lol.  Must be strong.  Must be strong *chants*
Thankfully Joanne_v has taken my name and details, so just waiting for when she can do a home check.  So much tidying and recycling to deal with!  Its keeping me busy at least.