Author Topic: very upset, long post will understand if you don't make it to the end.  (Read 16607 times)

Offline Tillys Mum

• Site Member
Re: very upset, long post will understand if you don't make it to the end.
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 08:35:36 PM »
Hi, hopefully after a good night's sleep you will feel a little better about this tomorrow. This kind of behaviour is pushy and rude. Please try and put this out of your mind and move forward in your puppy search ..... there are some lovely breeders out there. A while ago, I responded to a 'very good breeder's' website ad of a puppy because she had been let down at the last minute. I was looking for that particular colour and the picture of the pup was of course adorable. After a couple of hours toying with the idea, I rang the breeder to ask a few questions and she asked for my email address ...... I received some forms to complete and a message advising that the pup had been reserved for me and any other callers would be turned away!!!! At no point had I said that I wanted the puppy and when I rang back the next day and asked further questions I was informed that the picture of the puppy was not actually the puppy available. I thought that this approach was a little misleading and when I rang back to discuss visiting arrangements and introducing the puppy to my Tilly, I received no help at all and was completely put off. I changed my mind and got a fairly stern email from the breeder. I was made to feel like a naughty girl. I am not a time waster either. Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 08:38:36 PM »
I think you have every right to change your mind if you are not certain that this pup is for you. If you are wondering now and you had taken the pup. Think you would be always be on tenderhooks if anything was to go wrong, should I have got him, was I right, etc., etc.,

Think I said 'no' to about 3 puppies and travelled a fair few miles before I finally chose Smudge, well worth the wait.

It is hard when you have set your heart on something and it does not work out - but it will ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline LisaB

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 08:43:26 PM »
I hobby breed Tonkinese cats, though I just have Queens, not studs.  If I let a kitten go without injections, the Governing Council of the Cat Fancy would fine me and the respective breed clubs and cat clubsto which I belong would write a very stern letter to me, not that I would anyway, word would get around and breeders woulkdn't allow me to use their studs.  Doesn't the kennel club/ breed clubs do the same with dog breeders?

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 08:46:19 PM »
Things happen for a reason - sure you will find the gorgeous pup you are looking for (and a good, reputable breeder) :blink:  

You did the right thing.  The breeder should have vaccinated a 12 week old pup ::)  Also, it is a bad sign that they rang you to 'chase' for an answer.  Don't feel that a good breeder would do this or need to  :huh:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline rebeccabloor

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 08:53:47 PM »
From what i can read you are a very responsible doggy owner and you have done your very best by Ben and ensured that he is settled and have faced all your growing pains that go with raising dogs the right way. You have taken Bens needs into concideration every step of the way and you also have every intention of bringing a new puppy into your home through the 'right' channels.

Choosing a puppy should be an enjoyable experience and in an ideal world all reputable breeders would want their pups to go to very suitable loving homes but they should also except when potential owners decide not to go ahead with the sale. Unfortunately the breeder you visited expressed a negitive reaction to your decision not to except the puppy. Whatever her reasons ( hard to sell at the mo/ older pup etc) this was unprofessional and i'm sorry it has left you feeling how it has.

Get on the internet and start your search from fresh and you will find the right pup for you.
Finding the 'right' one should leave you feeling all excited and warm and fuzzy inside and your contact with the breeder should be a positive and comfortable one.

We looked at a few before actually putting a deposit down and as much as it is hard to leave a pup without giving them a forever home it is right to go away and think about it and where possible go back for a second visit to be sure.

I hope these posts have made you feel a bit better, like i said start afresh and put this behind you and get you questions ready on a pad before you arrange to visit.

Good luck in your search Bens mummy lots of  :luv:

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 09:08:20 PM »
Sounds like you were right to walk away, if she was like this with you, imagine if you had a problem and had to ring for advice and help.  I can understand a breeder being dissappointed that a pup hasn't found a home and might be getting anxious at having one too long, but assume thats part of the territory  ::) You didn't have to bare the brunt of that though.

With the problems you mention with Ben, it's more imporrtant that this important decision is the right one for you. Sorry it didn't work out though  ;)

Heidi was 12 weeks when we had her but she'd had all her jabs, the last being a day or two prior to us collecting.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 09:14:44 PM »
I hobby breed Tonkinese cats, though I just have Queens, not studs.  If I let a kitten go without injections, the Governing Council of the Cat Fancy would fine me and the respective breed clubs and cat clubsto which I belong would write a very stern letter to me, not that I would anyway, word would get around and breeders woulkdn't allow me to use their studs.  Doesn't the kennel club/ breed clubs do the same with dog breeders?

No they don't.  In the past i've only ever vaccinated puppies before they've gone if they are over 9wks as i don't agree with vaccinating puppies younger than this. 
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 09:16:29 PM »
I am so sorry you feel so disappointed and let down  :'(   

Clearly, the breeder you visited is not the right one for you to buy your new pup from.....how sad that you had to be hurt and upset in order to discover this  :-\

I know many people who have been subject to abruptness and rudeness from *some* breeders, and I know how devastating it can feel  :huh:

I hope that you can put this behind you, and continue to enjoy the hunt for your new puppy  - Good Luck  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline SarahS

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 09:43:10 PM »
In light of recent posts, think I'd rather drop out from this one as there is obviously a difference of opinion along the line.

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 09:59:27 PM »
When I was looking for Jack most of the breeders I saw said if you choose a pup you have to give a deposite (which i think is fair).
I deliberatly took no money with me when i went to look at puppys and explained this to any breeders i was going to visit. I wouldnt of made a decision while i was with the pups and always wanted to think about it overnight and discuss it at home with my OH after seeing any litters. All the breeders where fine with this and if something didnt feel 100% right I would phone the breeder the next day and explain that although their pups were lovely I just didnt feel they were for me and all of them were fine with it.
When we saw Jack we both  just felt he was the dog for us  :luv:
I still didnt leave the deposite after the first visit even though on the way home me and OH were so excited we had found the right pup. I slept on it then phoned his breeder the next day and we made the trip back to visit Jack and pay our deposite.

Offline ggilly

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 10:10:12 PM »
Don't be upset at all, you did exactly the right thing. You need to be 100% sure that the puppy is the right one for you and that includes being happy with the way that the breeder interacts with you.

The first litter that we went to look at I totally expected to fall in love with and want them all, I was very suprised to find that although they were perfectly nice puppies I didn't feel quite comfortable with the breeder. Nothing specific that I could put my finger on but we ended up saying could we think about it and let her know. We rang her back the next day and said that we had decided against one of her pups.
We also didn't even go to look at the litter from the next breeder after he told us that he didn't actually have the pups, they were at his friends because he had small children. (This man was recommended to us by the breed club) It might have all been quite genuine but we weren't prepared to take the risk.
Third time lucky, the puppies were wonderful as was the breeder.

Stick to your principles and don't feel guilty for having them, you will find the perfect pup for you.
Team Shenjela - Jane, Shel, Lizzy, Neala and Duffy

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 10:13:05 PM »
stop worrying and fretting it will only make you ill. you have done the right thing. Of course at 12 weeks that pup should have had its first innoculation. If the Breeder had explained why the pup wasnt innoculated fair enough, she may have had a valid reason,  but some sadly just dont want to spend that little extra money. who knows the pup may not have been wormed as regularly as the vets recommend either. better a no now than a sick pup later.
plus she doesnt sound the friendly type who would provide back up either. for instance all reputably breeders will take their pups back should things not work out , she doesnt sound like she would be too happy , perhaps there is a very good reason that pup is still with her at that age and it is that prospective buyers now thanks to places like COL are more educated in what to expect from a reputable breeder when buying a pup.
 you will find your perfect pup soon. dont lose heart. ;)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 10:50:12 PM »
wow....thank you all for your support.  As you can tell I was feeling very low earlier in the evening, but I do feel after reading through your responses, that I need to put it down to experince, learn from it to ask more questions before I go and visit but most of all that I need to keep looking as my pup will be out there somewhere.

:-* :-* to you all

Bens mum

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 10:56:18 PM »
wow....thank you all for your support.  As you can tell I was feeling very low earlier in the evening, but I do feel after reading through your responses, that I need to put it down to experince, learn from it to ask more questions before I go and visit but most of all that I need to keep looking as my pup will be out there somewhere.

:-* :-* to you all

Bens mum
more power to your elbow!  ;) glad your feeling cheerier!

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 10:57:59 PM »
Just read this thread.
Sorry you had such a negative start to your hunt for a new puppy. I hope you mange to put this nasty experience behind you and start afresh.Good luck with your searc for Bens new sister :blink: