Author Topic: does he know i love him  (Read 1610 times)

ziggy

does he know i love him
« on: August 01, 2004, 07:46:48 PM »
i have been ofered a new baby,,she won,t be ready till september,,the problem i have is,,,,will jasper take to her,,he is 3(today)i am so worried that he will think i don,t love him anymore,,i know this is a soppy request,but...i do worry about him thinking we have favoured a new dog!have any of you felt the same anguish,please help,,as i would love this new puppy,orange roan,as a friend for jasper,but don,t want to hurt his feelings,,i love him so dearly,,

thankyou
ziggy and jasper :?                    

Offline Becky

• Site Member
    • http://
does he know i love him
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 08:01:03 PM »
I've just been experiencing exactly the same feelings.  Ollie is now 10 weeks and has been with us for three.  Danny has never been nasty to him, but is not over keen.  He is coming around now and lets Ollie cwch (sorry, Welsh slang for cuddle) in his bed with him at night, and they have shared some sneaky kisses, but he's too boisterors for Dan's playing atstes.  I hope he will get even better as Ollie gets older.  I do feel guilty, and have to give Dan loads of loves.  The worst bit is feeding the little one two extra meals.  I always give Dan a biccie.  My Mum says it's a similar feeling to having a second baby, but I wouldn't know about that :wink: . Most people I know with two dogs love it and get on fine.  I certainly don't regret getting Ollie.                    
Love Becky, Danny and Ollie!

ziggy

does he know i love him
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 08:09:08 PM »
thanx becky,,i,m so worried that jasper will hate me for it ,i,m thinking of phoning the woman,to give an excuse for not having the pup,,i really don,t want to hurt jasper,maybe i,m just being too sensitive,but i have such a worry that he will not be the same dog,,with anew pup,and maybe in time he will love her,,who know,s i have got 4 weeks to decide :?

hope all is still going well with you,,maybe i shud come 2 ur house and see,lol,lol

ziggy and jasper,xx :wink:                    

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
does he know i love him
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 09:52:22 PM »
It can be a tough decision.

I worried..because Goldie was 9 when we got Lottie.

Goldie had always loved other dogs and really enjoyed their company, but I still worried that she would feel pushed out.

I just made sure that she got lots of extra cuddles and love and I always give her treats and biscuits first.
For most of the time she loves Lottie, only occasionally getting a bit fed up with her because she is so bouncy and exuberant.
Now that the worst of Lotties puppy biting is over their relationship is much improved.

I wouldn't discount getting another pup if I was you, as long as you have the  time to spend with both dogs to help smooth the way. They can become great companions for each other.                    

Offline annemie

• Site Member
    • http://members.chello.nl/~a.notten1/
does he know i love him
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 06:43:23 AM »
Oh what nice Ziggy, a new cockerbaby around. We have had the exact same thoughts when we wanted to buy Joris.  :(  The first 6 month Joep ignored him and lay complete the whole day on bed :(  We felt so worse. But when Joris grew bigger and his behaviuor wasn't so puppy anymore, Joep started to love Joris.

Now Joep cant't go anywhere without Joris, he miss him and have no confindence without him  :P

We are so pleased that we bought Joris, and Joep .................. he is pleased too.  :D                    
Greetings,

Annemie and a big kiss from Joep, Joris and Henry

[img width= height=]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/annemiejojo/Webfiets.jpg[/img]

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
does he know i love him
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 07:29:33 AM »
Ziggy, I'm not in a position to offer advice but judging from what everyone else has said things do seem to work out in the end :)

I think 3 years is a lovely age gap as well.

AND

[size=18]HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JASPER - hope you get lots and lots of treatsters!                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
does he know i love him
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 09:04:27 AM »
We bought Vahri Poohs when our older dog was 10, although they got on well together I always regretted not doing so sooner.

When Pad died (Vahri was nearly 2) we knew we'd get another dog eventually but, we need some time first.

Nearly 3 weeks ago that time arrived and we got Rufus, Vahri does give him a hard time, but he seems to accept it, and he's very capable of standing up for himself - 10 weeks old as he is!!

My point is they will already snuggle together and it's lovely to see. Yes there are times I think she could see him far enough, but I'm sure as he matures and settles down, their relationship will deepen.                    

Offline taniac

• Site Member
does he know i love him
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 02:02:13 PM »
When we first got Jovi, Neo had a very long-suffering face (Easter this year), every time the puppy wanted to snuggle up to him, Neo got up and  moved away which was a shame.  Jovi learnt that Neo didn't want him to lie all over him, but did allow him to be close or touching him.

Jovi is now nearly 6 months now and although still probably too playful for Neo at times, but they are a lot happier together, Neo is very protective over Jovi (not that he needs it  :D )

I'm very careful to give both dogs the same amount of attention, but like already mentioned I did feel guilty feeding Jovi a third meal and not Neo.  I used to take a handful of kibble and take Neo into another room and make him do sits/downs for them until Jovi had finished eating!  I'm glad Jovi's now on 2 meals  :wink:

I personally feel much better if I have to leave the dogs knowing that they are together, rather than when I left Neo by himself.  I'm still waiting for Jovi to hit maturity and see what happens then but at the moment we're a very happy two dog household!!                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
does he know i love him
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 09:16:50 PM »
We had a dog once and she really was our baby and following a set of circumstances we got an 8wk old pup when shew was 4yrs old. She was alittle jealous when she realised that the pup was here to stay, so she gave him a set of rules to follow and as long as he stuck to them she tolerated him.ie she was top dog, she ate first, she got to sit on my knee, and he didn't swing on her ears too much!

Your other dog should get used to the new addition, its just how long it will take and what steps you are prepared to go to, to make it work. If your conscience is pricking you maybe you should wait or leave it . All I can say is that my dog really was a pampered pooch and she put up with it and eventually came to like him although her first love was always for me.

From Karen                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

ziggy

does he know i love him
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 11:07:31 PM »
thanyou all so much for the advice,it has helped,although a friend of mine who,s a vet.nurse,said that maybe he is the sort of dog who doesn,t need another for company,and that he is very attached to me,maybe i should leave it,she did make me think,although reading these posts,i do feel a lot more positive,will let you know what happens,the pups not ready till beginning september,

many thanx again :wink:

ziggy and jasper :D                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
does he know i love him
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 09:34:05 AM »
Ziggy,

Our boy Billy (4) was an only dog until we got Abby :D we thought as he was very much a dog that enjoyed human company and didn't really seek out doggy pals that he would take months to get used to having another dog around.  What a surprise we had after 2 days they where the best of friends and if one goes out without the other they cry :shock: Billy became a much more excited dog he now wants to play all the time.  We always make a point of greeting Billy first and he gets fed first and he still sleeps on our bed, though he is starting to want to sleep with Abby.

Michelle                    

ziggy

does he know i love him
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2004, 10:22:34 PM »
thanx michelle,,that has helped,knowing others have had the same worry,,glad all worked out for you,and them :wink:
i think we will have her,i,ve already named her,,and am sooo excited at having another cocker,,will keep you all posted,

many thanx again :D

ziggy and jasper :wink:                    

Offline annemie

• Site Member
does he know i love him
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2004, 10:27:43 PM »
Hi Ziggy,

How nice that you have decided to take a little lady. When does she comes to your house?                    
Greetings,

[img width= height=]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/annemiejojo/Webfiets.jpg[/img]

ziggy

does he know i love him
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2004, 11:15:25 PM »
hi sweety,she won,t be ready till beginning of sept, :wink: after reading all these posts,,think i will be having her after all,going to call her ruby tuesday,,after my last cocker who died in a car accident,,she was lovely,,and i miss her soo much :cry: hope all is well with you   :D

ziggy and jasper :wink:                    

Offline annemie

• Site Member
does he know i love him
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2004, 06:27:03 AM »
welcome ruby tuesday  :lol: I bet she is got to be lovely lady.  :P
we are doing fine now  :P                    
Greetings,