Author Topic: digital slr help please?  (Read 3166 times)

Offline jann

• Site Member
digital slr help please?
« on: March 23, 2009, 11:30:11 PM »
Can any of you photographers out there  please advise me whether it's possible to buy a decent SLR for under £300 ? :huh:

and if so, what to consider ?

Jann :-\

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: digital slr help please?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 07:20:07 AM »
You might be able to pick up a Canon 350D now as it's been overtaken by a few models but is still a very nice camera  ;)

use mine with the 35 - 70, 70-300 and 50mm lens

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 10:11:53 AM »
You might be able to pick up a Canon 350D now as it's been overtaken by a few models but is still a very nice camera  ;)

use mine with the 35 - 70, 70-300 and 50mm lens

This is very good advice and you can get them on ebay from around £200

I have a 40D and hubby has a 350D and we share lenses. So if you get a canon and want to upgrade later you don't have to change all the lenses as well they still fit.

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 01:24:04 PM »
We got a Olympic one of Amazon i think it was around £250 - Amazon was the cheapest we found it so may be worth looking there, I have no idea which one it is but it was well recommend for beginners. if you want to know the model let me know and I'll look when i get home

L&O x

Offline jann

• Site Member

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 10:12:31 PM »
It might be worth hanging on for a short while as the new canon 500D is due to be released and will be available in May and will no doubt cause a drop in price on the 350D and 400D

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 10:16:53 PM »
It might be worth hanging on for a short while as the new canon 500D is due to be released and will be available in May and will no doubt cause a drop in price on the 350D and 400D

;)  Thanks for that info hamfam, good idea ! may even go for a 400 then  :005:
Jann  :D

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 10:23:39 PM »
Hi

I have the 350d and its a good camera, have a look at my flickr ... they have all been taken with the 350d www.flickr.com/thephiltrum

I got mine from a company called London Camera Exchange, they have branches everywhere and the great thing is that it comes with a warrenty and you can go into store if theres a problem, I had a quick look and they have some in cheaper than that one one ebay (and you can normaly negociate it a little cheaper if your into bargaining)

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/SHdetails.asp?Item=7554

the ebay one ... its an american one .. as its silver and listed as the Rebel XT which is fine, if you like silver, the added extras are not realy going to be much use to be honest, but its entirely up to you

having a quick scout on ebay ... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EOS-350D-Digital-Camera-EF-28-80-USM-zoom-lens_W0QQitemZ250397645371QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN?hash=item250397645371&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

better lens ... cheaper .. and a uk version

hope thats of some help
Phil

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 10:24:45 PM »
Mine is the 350 rebel - reconditioned like this but didn't have all the extras with it, personally would rather have 70-300 or the 35 - 70 lens with it although the wider lens has it's uses  :-\

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 10:25:22 PM »
missed the last post lol ... the 500d was released on monday, so prices may start changing soon

the 400 is nicer in respect that it has a larger screen for reviewing shots, a few more mp although unless your printing big thats not an issue

Phil

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 10:28:24 PM »
missed the last post lol ... the 500d was released on monday, so prices may start changing soon

the 400 is nicer in respect that it has a larger screen for reviewing shots, a few more mp although unless your printing big thats not an issue

Phil

Think the frames per second for action shots is slower on the 400 isn't it  :-\ that was why I stuck to the 350 instead of the 400

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 10:38:22 PM »
 ;) Thanks Phil and Jaspers Mum for all that info.

That's giving me a bit more food for thought  :-\

Phil your flickr pics are very impressive  ;)  and Jaspers Mum thanks as I'd like to take some action shots (horses) so perhaps the 350D would be a better option

Jann

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 10:41:54 PM »
The only "problem" I had with the Rebel initially was they had not included the transformer plug for the battery charger as it was an American 2 pin, remedied by buying a cheap travel adapter  ;) the rest of the camera, other than the colour, is pretty much the same.  Haven't had an issues about it being reconditioned, it made it cheaper to buy though  ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 10:43:57 AM »

Phil your flickr pics are very impressive  ;)  and Jaspers Mum thanks as I'd like to take some action shots (horses) so perhaps the 350D would be a better option

Jann

I've got the 400d and have no problem with action shots....or do I :dunno:
helen & jarvis x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 10:58:28 AM »

Jann

I've got the 400d and have no problem with action shots....or do I :dunno:

No, it was just, on paper at least, why I stuck with the 350D - obviously Helen's picture's are rubbish  :005:  ph34r

Not put the two into practise side by side but think the difference would actually be minimal  ;)