Author Topic: Dominant Cocker male  (Read 984 times)

Offline yoto

Dominant Cocker male
« on: April 17, 2009, 11:44:24 AM »
hi.

i have two dogs. one pure bred male cocker and one cross (king charles x cocker) they are great buddies and sleep together and are great company for each other. BUT the cocker attacks the other dog over my attention, the cross is a very affectionate dog and constantly wants to be on your knee while the cocker is aloof but does not like being left alone without dog/human company.  i am now afraid to give attention to both dogs at the same time as the cocker attacks the other dog.  i find it very nerve wracking and i dont know what to do. i am based in Galway and cannot find a behaviouralist to deal with it.  i have been told to get them neutered but do i get one or both of them done? i dont know if the cocker would be happier as a 1 to 1 with his owner or happier as a working dog. they are both kept in the garden during hte day and are in hte house otherwise. i am afraid if i seperate them that they will pine for each other.  if one of them is gone the other one appears lost.  Advice would be appreciated.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Re: Dominant Cocker male
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 12:00:23 PM »
Hello there,

Poor you. :-\ I can't really offer you any real advice I'm afraid (none of us really can over the internet), you really do need a qualified behaviourist to meet you and your dogs and asses what's going on. Neutering one or both dogs may help, but is no guarantee that it will alter the triggers that are causing the attacks. There are a couple of behaviourists on this site and hopefully one of them may be able to recommend someone closer to you that can help you.

Just so you know though (although I'm sure you already do I've probably just misinterpreted the way your post is written!), the pure bred cocker isn't behaving in the way he is because he is a pure bred. Pedigree dogs have received a lot of bad press recently but there are 1000's and 1000's of lovely pure bred dogs that don't have behavioural issues just as there are lots of cross breeds that do have problems also.

Hopefully someone will be along with a recommendation for you to contact shortly, best of luck with them.

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
Re: Dominant Cocker male
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 04:00:05 PM »
Hi try Lena at this link
http://www.petbehaviour-training.com/
She and Sandra are excellent and work all over Ireland