Author Topic: Novice Training Day  (Read 1734 times)

Offline milly

• Donator
Novice Training Day
« on: April 26, 2009, 11:47:36 AM »
I took Paddy to a Novice Cocker Training day in Castle Douglas yesterday, it was a big deal for both of us, for me because I'm the worlds worst driver and it was a four and a half hour trip, and for him because he's never trained in a group of dogs before.

I drove up Friday and stayed overnight nearby and took him for his first trip to the beach, then Friday morning we had a walk in the woods before we went for the training. It was run by Francis Brooks of Contrail Cockers who has 42 Field Trial Awards with 11 different cockers so certainly knows her stuff. I was worried Paddy wouldn't be able to concentrate with other dogs around, especially if there were any bitches as he's going through a stage of wanting to get amourous with anything female :luv: but he was a star.

There only 5 cockers in the group, 4 the same age as him and 1 about a year old. Francis was very welcoming, she had the attitude 'put the kettle on and make yourselves at home', then we started off by each introducing ourselfs and saying what we hoped to do with our dogs. We moved outside and got the pups out then showed her what we had done with them so far. She had the knack of giving everyone individual attention and advice while making sure no one was left stood around with a young dog for long. She gave little demonstrations with her own dogs, all of varying ages to demonstrate how to handle them and then we each in turn worked on recall, sit etc. Paddy did ok but was a bit tired and I realised that was entirely my fault, I'd wanted to make the most of being there and I realise now I did too much with him :embarassed:

The pups had a rest in their crates whilst we had lunch, chatted and watched a DVD of this years cocker championship. Then we set off in a convy to her favourite training ground. I'm not sure what the girls in scotland would call the area where we went, but coming from somewhere thats mainly flat I can only describe it as a 'mountain'. The drive up was a bit scarey for me but well worth it. It was all differant levels of terrain, grass, gorse bushes, vegatation and little streams, Paddy was refreshed after his nap and back to his lively little self :blink:

We did some retrieves, a couple over a little stream and I was a bit worried he wouldn't go over it but no worries, then all the pups did a blind retrieve over a little stream. Everyone had differant problems, one pup had not seen a dummy before and one was fast as lightning but didn't want to give the dummy up, Francis showed us all how to deal with each little problem. Then we did some hunting/quartering while she instructed us and the pups loved it.

I came away with new ideas and knowing what I need to work on. Paddy slept all the way home :005: It was really tiring but well worth the trip. I've booked him in for Grade 1 of the gundog club and I was a bit worried about working in a group but I'm looking forward to it now. We had a great time at Francis's and I'm going to take him back for the intermediate 2 day course when he's older.
Milly

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
Re: Novice Training Day
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 11:52:33 AM »
Sounds like you both had a fab time and came away with loads of advice and a real sense of what direction you want Paddys training to go in.  Cant wait to hear how you get on with the 2 day course!!
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
 :'( Sorry seeing Paddy's pic has made me cry again  :embarassed: (he's gorgeous by the way  :luv: )

Sounds like you had a great day and it sounds like you now have the bug BIG time  :D - have a great time with him and one little piece of advice from me, don't go over board on the training on the weekend and nothing in the week - try and do at least 15 min training each day and don't try and rush through things and ALWAYS finish a training session on a positive note  :D

here's wishing you all the best with the Grade 1  :D

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 01:37:29 PM »
:'( Sorry seeing Paddy's pic has made me cry again  :embarassed: (he's gorgeous by the way  :luv: )

Sounds like you had a great day and it sounds like you now have the bug BIG time  :D - have a great time with him and one little piece of advice from me, don't go over board on the training on the weekend and nothing in the week - try and do at least 15 min training each day and don't try and rush through things and ALWAYS finish a training session on a positive note  :D

here's wishing you all the best with the Grade 1  :D

I just read your post Cazza, so sorry. Little things will fill you up for a long time as thoughts of him come to mind and I guess the first few weeks are the hardest.
Many thanks fortaking the time to offer the advice. Take care of each other and I'll say a prayer for your little man.
Milly