Author Topic: Has anyone sent their dogs away for training?  (Read 4179 times)

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
Re: Has anyone sent their dogs away for training?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 10:36:07 PM »
Lovely picture  :luv:

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 06:45:13 AM »
It is a great picture. Glad to see your boy looking well :blink:
Milly

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 12:20:32 PM »
stunning pic of equally stunning dogs :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline JulieNicholds

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 12:41:49 PM »
Hi - I've never sent any of my cockers away to be trained but what I have done is attend a couple of 3 day residential training courses (which focus on the trainer - more than the dog) with Sunstar Gundogs - they are based in Dorset so not sure how that works for you. (Hope I'm allowed to mention these guys)

My youngest cocker is now 14 months old and I was hoping to go with her in September - but with the arrival of our new clumber pup in July - the timings just aren't right.  I have however booked to go in April with her, and a friend with her dog pup of a similar age.   We will both have had our youngsters out for the odd drive come Jan 2010 so will have an idea of what problems we have and something to work on while on the course.

From a different point of view good friends of ours in Wiltshire take in gundogs for training - what they say is that they usually leave a new dog to settle in for a couple of weeks before they start any training, you can imagine the "shock" to the system of being kennelled if they aren't used to it etc etc.  He likes to get to know the dog prior to starting anything. You need to factor this into costing out the whole boarding school scenario.   Also I know that Peter likes the owners to come back every, say 3 weeks, to see how each dog is getting on - he is also rather honest if he thinks the dog is not ready for training or isn't going to progress any further.   I would imagine some "trainers" would just keep taking your money rather than giving you honest feedback?!

Hope it works out for you both!

Offline JohnW

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 02:19:41 PM »
Hi - I've never sent any of my cocker's away to be trained but what I have done is attend a couple of 3 day residential training courses (which focus on the trainer - more than the dog) with Sunstar Gundogs - they are based in Dorset so not sure how that works for you. (Hope I'm allowed to mention these guys)

My youngest cocker is now 14 months old and I was hoping to go with her in September - but with the arrival of our new clumber pup in July - the timings just aren't right.  I have however booked to go in April with her, and a friend with her dog pup of a similar age.   We will both have had our youngsters out for the odd drive come Jan 2010 so will have an idea of what problems we have and something to work on while on the course.

From a different point of view good friends of ours in Wiltshire take in gundogs for training - what they say is that they usually leave a new dog to settle in for a couple of weeks before they start any training, you can imagine the "shock" to the system of being kennelled if they aren't used to it etc etc.  He likes to get to know the dog prior to starting anything. You need to factor this into costing out the whole boarding school scenario.   Also I know that Peter likes the owners to come back every, say 3 weeks, to see how each dog is getting on - he is also rather honest if he thinks the dog is not ready for training or isn't going to progress any further.   I would imagine some "trainers" would just keep taking your money rather than giving you honest feedback?!

Hope it works out for you both!

Some trainers would happily take your money and drag training out as long as possible,I am sure you are correct, but I would guess it's down to owner of the dog in training to realise when there is no progress being made, To me only seeing the dogs progress once every 3 weeks is not nearly enough for the novice owner/trainer, I am there twice a week and I am also being trained on every visit and I can also take what I am learning back to my girls who I am training myself so to speak. Ravens training is the very best I could have wished for and on the whole his self discipline has massively improved to the point of not running in until he is commanded and even being able to train with the gamekeepers other dogs and sitting and patiently waiting for his turn to retrieve, His recall is now excellent and we are now about to start is training to the gun. I do understand most people would not go down this route as its not cheap and many could not bare their dogs being away from home, these were all my concerns too at the beginning, but I am very happy with his results so far. And I am now looking forward to going on our first shoot in November. But just because I seem to be having success with Raven deos not mean it's the rite thing to do for every dog, I cannot claim victory until we have both had our first season together. Ask me in a year if it has been worth it ph34r ;)

John  ;)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 07:12:19 PM »
So glad its all going well for you John and wee Raven is a stunner, I'm biased though, owning a black worker myself - they bear an uncanny resemblance actually  ;)
Chloe and I are off for some intensive training with Mr TB next month, I can hardly wait, never having had the opportunity for any kind of professional training whatsever, I'm sure I shall learn loads  ;)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 08:19:57 PM »
Good to hear it's going well John, Raven looks good.
It must be good to see the progress he is making.
Milly

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 09:27:54 PM »
Good that things are going well John  :D

Raven is looking real good too  :luv:

Offline JohnW

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 02:44:35 AM »
So glad its all going well for you John and wee Raven is a stunner, I'm biased though, owning a black worker myself - they bear an uncanny resemblance actually  ;)
Chloe and I are off for some intensive training with Mr TB next month, I can hardly wait, never having had the opportunity for any kind of professional training whatsever, I'm sure I shall learn loads  ;)
Good to hear it's going well John, Raven looks good.
It must be good to see the progress he is making.
Good that things are going well John  :D

Raven is looking real good too  :luv:

Ahh cheers guys I am so proud of my lad. And Sue I really hope it works out with Chloe, By TB i am guessing you mean Topbarks well having looked at his pics and vids I am sure he will sort you and your girl out and you will both benefit from it. ;)