Author Topic: New to this forum so hello from me.  (Read 5608 times)

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
Re: New to this forum so hello from me.
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2009, 11:00:26 PM »
Hi and welcome, I have a  4 year old show type. Look forward to seeing your pictures and hearing about your work.

Offline DLK

• Kirkbourne Gundogs
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2009, 11:11:12 PM »
Jo & Milly it is great when we get a new member into the house or kennel and the most important thing is to get our dog accustomed to other people, dog, animals and noises. 

When your happy that your dog is not upset by these you are able to introduce it to your training area and start building the training pattern.  I often get asked when should you start training your dog.  I train mine straight away but it is only a game we start with.  Walk away and call your dog.  That is training. 

We train dogs even when we dont think we do.  What is important is to ensure at an early age the dog enjoys you and you enjoy the dog.

Never upset your dog just to get one more step to a trained dog.  Dogs will, with guidance, do all you ask.  Apart from cook your tea and make a cuppa.

DLK
DLK
To gain respect we must give it.
www.kirkbournegundogs.co.uk

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 11:13:58 PM »
Thanks for your comments so far its nice to have a good welcome but my fault I did a slide in like a brake dancer.

I will help anyone with any problems with training their dog.  Im passionate about gundogs and love helping people.  Im currently building a training DVD.  I was asked on another forum what is the difference from mine to other DVDs.

My response was, I will show you all the out takes but the out takes will be the DVD.  It takes such a long time to do though.  I have a cameraman who films for SKY and Yorkshire TV he is great and knows his stuff.  We did 3 hours filming and got 27 minutes of it.  I have just recently got a ESS english springer spaniel.  She is only 14 weeks old so I will be using her for filming.  I have had lots of offers for film star dogs LOL but im sure I will find enough stuff to film with mine alone.

I will also use the cocker when it arrives >:D.

Am i ok to post photos on here or do i need to put them else where?

we love photo's   :D  probably best to start a new thread on the photo section - 'Misc' if it's a non cocker - due to people being on slower connections if you post a max of 4 pictures directly and then link the rest that would be great.

Looking forward to seeing them  ;)

as for 'using the cocker' - methinks you won't be able to STOP once you start  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline mum2milly

• Inactive
  • Jumbi Speed Queen, "Milly" xx
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2009, 12:12:18 AM »
Thanks DLK. We have done general obedience classes, (up to silver KCGC so far) just not done anything formally for the field. Milly is a family pet, & as such will chase and retrieve a ball, toys etc. One thing she doesn't do is to wait until i say she can go for a retrieve. I know this is my fault as we never did it with her as a pup, but is it possible to alter this behaviour? (so I'm not having to hold her collar!)
She will bring things back to me and give them mouth to hand, but recently she has found her dumbell boring & refuses to fetch it (used for formal retrieves only) when doing out outdoor training. Would she be better off with a canvas dummy?? We've only done a very,very limited amount of whistle training too.
See what I mean...... pathetic sorry!  :-\

Offline DLK

• Kirkbourne Gundogs
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2009, 12:31:20 AM »
Thanks DLK. We have done general obedience classes, (up to silver KCGC so far) just not done anything formally for the field. Milly is a family pet, & as such will chase and retrieve a ball, toys etc. One thing she doesn't do is to wait until i say she can go for a retrieve. I know this is my fault as we never did it with her as a pup, but is it possible to alter this behaviour? (so I'm not having to hold her collar!)
She will bring things back to me and give them mouth to hand, but recently she has found her dumbell boring & refuses to fetch it (used for formal retrieves only) when doing out outdoor training. Would she be better off with a canvas dummy?? We've only done a very,very limited amount of whistle training too.
See what I mean...... pathetic sorry!  :-\

Chase and retrieve, boring & refuses these are your words and you have said you know its your fault.  Let call it a mistake but don't worry all these are easy to train out.  All you have to do is train to win.  To train to win you have to follow some simple methods.  When throwing a ball don't send your dog for it pick it up yourself.  9 times out of 10 the ball is yours, this will then remove the boredom and excite your dog into retrieving again. Siting and waiting  until sent, the reason your dog runs in is because you have in the past thrown the ball without any restrictions.  So to sort this out you need to hold the dog tell it to sit.  (i only use sit as this means sit until told another command)
Do not let your dog have the retrieve ask another member of your family to hold the dog and you must pick the dummy yourself.  I dont use dumbells so I cant comment but canvas is a good way to go if your going into the gundog world.

Whistle training is the best way forward for gundogs.  . One long blast is stop and lots of short pips is recall.  they are they basic commands.  I train the dog to hold an area with the whistle as well.

I think  its a great story so keep in touch and I will help as much as I can

DLK

Offline mum2milly

• Inactive
  • Jumbi Speed Queen, "Milly" xx
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2009, 12:37:16 AM »
Thanks for that, will do.

Offline superscot

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2009, 12:48:45 AM »
Hi 49 year auld bored and stuck with a super wee blue roan .......

Offline DLK

• Kirkbourne Gundogs
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2009, 08:33:29 AM »
When you say stuck what is the problem?
DLK
DLK

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2009, 09:01:05 AM »
Hi welcome  ;)

I am Mum to Bob a show type solid Black 4 year old
he's a good boy most of the time, his recall is not bad, we are off lead every day in the woods
we go down the sea front at lunch times, i do tend to keep him on lead when we are there
as lots of kid, and people eating.
we do have one new problem at the moment, and that is bikes and joggers, he will run after them
and i am not sure how to stop this any help would be greatly received  

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009, 01:43:44 PM »
Hello there!

Welcome to COL. I have had two show type cockers, I still have Dave who's a 2 yr old blue roan and I'm also very lucky to share life with my big rescue Weim girlie, Norms :luv:

Looking forward to seeing some of your dogs and hearing lots!

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2009, 02:47:53 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL. I wasn't offended to your previous title either, I took it to mean that although you are new, you know what you are doing with dogs, whereas a lot of people join to learn how to understand their dogs. :D

I'm Fiona, I live in Glasgow with puppy Duggie, a show type, who is 12 weeks. He's been learning his basic commands since day 1, but in a fun way with lots of praise and cuddles, he has no idea that he's training! ;) I recently lost my first boy Gari, he was a rescue and came mostly trained, apart from recall and liking other dogs, but he got there and was a great dog. :luv:

I'm just about to start fostering 2 ex-workers, 1 is a Cocker, and 1 a Lab, they haven't had a good life, so they'll just be getting lots of TLC.

I hope you enjoy it here, I look forward to seeing the photos, and I bet once you get your Cocker, you will never look back! :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline DLK

• Kirkbourne Gundogs
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2009, 04:47:31 PM »
Once again, thank you all for a great welcome. 

If you want to now why I have decided to get a cocker its down to I have trained one for a while and she is a stunner and a very very good working dog. 

SO i gave in lol

DLK
DLK

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2009, 06:36:35 PM »
Hello and welcome from me and my boy Mason - a 1 year old bundle of fun  :luv:
Elaine & Mason X

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2009, 08:40:54 PM »
Welcome to you and yours from me and the Swiss Cockers! ;) :D
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2009, 08:52:17 PM »
Hello & Welcome from us too.  :D   Your previous title etc was clear to me too and not offended at all.  :D

I am owned by Nina, Jo Jo & Alfie, all show type and absolutely adorable  :luv: (well, to me anyway)  They are all perfectly well behaved, fully trained, very, very obedient and they even cook our tea.  :005:  Oops, i have woken up now and it was all just a dream.  :005:  It would be lovely though, if it were all true! ;)  or even just a little bit!!  ;)

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie