Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 737 times)

Offline sarah phillips

• Donator
Advice please
« on: August 27, 2009, 08:12:43 PM »
We have just been to our first Ring Craft session. I have never showed before and was a bit over whelmed. Pebble was okay but having attended puppy classes barked endlessly at the other dogs to play. I'm hoping this will improve in time. The teacher and other members of class had lots of advice but lots of it was different or opposite and I'm not sure which if any to take.  :huh: Off to some shows this weekend to learn more - watching only I must add!

More specifically I have been told to buy a show lead but the links I have found on here so far I can't get to work. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Also do you have to have a crate trained dog to attend shows. Our puppy sleeps in a soft crate and I'm sure would accept a metal one but doesn't as yet accept the door being shut!!

I know this will all take time and hard work but any top tips would be really appreciated. I have such respect for all of you that have mastered these skills already.  :blink:

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 09:55:03 PM »
Hellooo, I am a newbie to the dog showing world too! There is a lot of conflicting advice but use what makes sense and works for you. But keep an open mind because you never know!

I'm sure that the barking will get better, Murphy was very OTT when he started ringcraft and about 3 months on he's still a bit excitable but much much better. The only thing I can tell you there is practise, practise, practise but it does make a difference.

Don't feel pressured into buying one. Only get one if you definately want one because I have found they can be quite pricey but i'm sure others will be along to tell you good places to get them.

No you don't need a crate trained dog. Murphy doesn't have a crate for shows. But it does make it a lot easier as there with lots of dogs it is easer to put them in the crate for a while whilst you get an idea of the rings and showground. But it definately isn't a pre requsite of showing!

Good luck, I'm sure other people will be able to give better advice. But if you want to do it, keep practising and the more you put in, the more you'll get out!
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: Advice please
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 11:32:54 PM »
Hi, we're new to showing too....

If you are going to watch a few shows, it's possible that there may be some stores there where you can look at leads and decide what you like best, I like leather, my daughter prefers nylon as they ball up in the hand better for Junior Handling...  Look at what other cocker owners are using in the ring.

Crates are very useful as it gives your dog a  place to take a break in the show venue with out you having to take them everywhere with you, we sometimes take a metal crate and use the trolley, other times we take the fabric one although using them can depend on trust in your dog as the zips are easy to chew off and you may end up with an escapee  ;)

We enjoy the ringcraft but probably have learnt as much from watching others at shows, especially if there are not any others of the same breed at your club.  Listen and use what works for you and your dog.  We have tried a few different ringcrafts around our area, only recently found one that we really feel part of though partly as there are more gundogs there and therefore understand our dog.

There is a sticky thread giving some basics of showing at the top of the show thread which might help too.  ENJOY  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie