Author Topic: clickerwork: show me something new  (Read 5926 times)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
clickerwork: show me something new
« on: October 16, 2009, 07:42:30 PM »
I'm reading a new Karen Pryor book at the moment (Reaching the Animal Mind) and in it she mentions a game she started with a dolphin, where it had to offer up new behhaviours to get a click. I had a go with the Muppeteers tonight (separately, obviously). I just sat with a bowl of treats and the clicker and waited for them to do something. Whatever it was, they got a click. Then I said "something new" (which they don't know as a cue) and waited. Both of them got the idea really fast, I had Zorro offering twirls, targets and waving, and Bella targetting anything in sight, shuffling backwards in a down position and making all kinds of cute noises. It's a really fun game, just to encourage them to experiment, they can't get it wrong and have to really think of ideas. They did 5 mins each and are now totally shattered :)
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
Re: clickerwork: show me something new
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 08:14:24 PM »
Sounds fun! Now if only me and Ollie could get the hang of the clicker to try it!

L&O x

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 08:48:13 PM »
I just sat with a bowl of treats and the clicker and waited for them to do something. Whatever it was, they got a click. Then I said "something new"

Would you have clicked and treated if they had jumped into your bowl of treats? :005:

Sounds like real fun. Think we may try that next week.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 08:49:58 PM »
Claire, can I just ask; do they just go through all the usual routines and then move on to new stuff? And would you click all the usual stuff, or just wait for new things?

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 09:57:41 PM »
Claire, can I just ask; do they just go through all the usual routines and then move on to new stuff? And would you click all the usual stuff, or just wait for new things?

I found actually the only "usual" stuff they offered was sits and downs. I didn't click for a straight sit or down, but if they did something else with it (anything really, eg lifting a paw, shuffling backwards, turning their head to one side, giving one woof with it) then they got a click. Tonight I gave a little bit of leeway with Zorro as he's always found it really hard to experiment, so for example part of his session went like this:

walk in a small circle anticlockwise - click
nudge my leg - click
put paws on my leg - click
nudge the wall - click
sit and lift a paw - click
walk in a circle anticlockwise - click
nudge a cardboard box - click

so although he'd done the anticlockwise thing already, because he'd tried different things inbetween I still clicked it (but if he did it twice in a row then he only got a click for the first one).

With Bella, she's always been good at experimenting so I was quite strict, it had to be a different thing each time (quite hard as a handler as well as you have to keep track and be aware of subtle nuances, eg sitting and turning the head to the left is different to just sitting looking at me).

From what I got from the book, it's basically about encouraging them to offer up any behaviour they can think of. I found neither of them offered things like rollover (which they both know) so it's kind of interesting seeing what comes to them easily. Also of course, if they offer something new, you can then start to encourage and shape that. Zorro knows "twirl" which is a clockwise circle, but not "Spin" (anitclockwise - Bella knows both). So tonight he was offering anitclockwise circles so next session I'll probably do a bit of work to capture that.

I really like that it's like a totally freestyle session, you can just sit back and watch them be creative and because it's clickerwork they can't do anything "wrong" so it's just giving them a free reign to do whatever comes to mind  :D

The dolphin that Karen Pryor did this with did some amazingly creative stuff including swimming round the pool to get up speed, turning belly up in the water and then coasting along with his tail out of the water, so all you could see was this tail moving along  :lol2:  A zookeeper also did it with a gorilla who even ended up pulling different faces  :shades:

I'm trying to pick up clickerwork again properly as I want to start combining it with TTouch - the TTouch getting the animal in a nice, relaxed but focussed state (in tests they actually reach a "state of higher learning" where all 4 brainwaves are firing simultaneously), and then do clickerwork when they're in this spongelike state of learning.

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 11:40:18 PM »
Sounds fun  :D

I took Harry to his 1st training class this week & homework was to get the dogs to get in the box without verbal cue, I have to say I did think "why?" but found it very interesting to see how Harry's mind worked.
It took a while for him to even notice the box  :lol2: but then he sniffed it so click, only did this 3 times & then waited for him to put his head in it, again only a maximum of 3 clicks, then click when he got in it & then when he sat in it.  Within no time he would just go a sit straight in it, obviously knowing that is what's expected of him.

The box was still out when I started grooming Max & Harry then fell asleep in it  :005:

Dont suppose at training he'll even look at the box, too many other interesting things to do  :005:
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 08:18:10 AM »

I do this with both of mine. Have a look in charity shops for stuff you can use as props. I bought some children's bookends a few weeks ago. Jessie gave me quite a few different behaviours. She did touching them with her nose, a down by the side of the bookend. a bow, and a sit. :blink:

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 10:28:59 AM »

That sounds great...

I've been trying to get more free-shaping clicker training going, as I have really relied more on luring and clicking than true clicker training...  ph34r
It's strange, as Honey is so quick with some things, and will attempt to target anything around her to get a click, she is less aware of what she is doing herself that is getting clicks, so it took absolutely ages to shape a "turn your head" as she kept thinking I was clicking her looking at something in particular rather than the turn of the head!!!  :005:  I think it will be a while before she is thinking on her own to the degree that we can do "Something new!" but would love to give it a try some time!!  :D

It really did bring home to me, though, how unaware she seems to be of herself, and I do wonder if this is what contributes to her erratic behaviour with other dogs... she is so concerned about what is going on about her, that she isn't aware of what she should be doing to cope with different situations and suddenly realises she is in a pickle that she can't get out of!!!
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 08:33:32 PM »
The first time I tried shaping Milo was still quite young. I put a cardboard box in the middle of the floor waiting to see what he would offer and do with it, and ....

... he cocked his leg on it.   :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Needless to say, he didn't get a click!
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 12:41:52 AM »
We had to do this at the college the other week. I started with the cardboard box with Rodaidh, just put it in front of him and watched what he did with it. He got the idea pretty quickly that he only got clicked for one thing a few times and then he had to do something else and he was climbing in and out of the box after about 15 minutes. He also learned to do a 'roll over' from free shaping and he can now do it really well on command. Tilly did a session too, she offered quite a few behaviours - sniffing it, touching the side with her nose, putting her head in, touching the bottom with her nose, pawing it, putting one paw in and by the end she was putting both front paws in and staying there, she was too big to fit completely into it :005:  It was fun and I've been doing bits and pieces of it with them since we got back, it's really interesting for me watching them think about stuff and figure things out.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 09:04:30 AM »

Did some freetime time with my two last night, with a small children's bookend.   Jessie did down etc at the side and in front of the bookend. When she started to stand behind the bookend I clicked that, in the end I got a bow with head to the floor, she catches on quick you can almost see the cogs turning :005: .   Dylan is a bit slower to catch on all he wanted to do was bite the bookend  >:D but did not click him for that, perhaps try again tonight with him.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 09:52:19 AM »
We should have a bit of a clicker challenge! someone could choose something to shape and see how we get on. :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 02:12:54 PM »
We should have a bit of a clicker challenge! someone could choose something to shape and see how we get on. :D

I'd be up for that!  :lol2:

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 03:45:45 PM »

Me too :lol2:

Offline CJ

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 08:47:59 PM »
The first time I tried shaping Milo was still quite young. I put a cardboard box in the middle of the floor waiting to see what he would offer and do with it, and ....
 :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol: Bless him!

... he cocked his leg on it.   :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Needless to say, he didn't get a click!
:lol2: