Author Topic: clickerwork: show me something new  (Read 5925 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: clickerwork: show me something new
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2009, 06:21:26 PM »
This is all really interesting.  I freeshape with my older dogs quite regularly but will admit that this is the first time I am doing it with a pup.

Reah's 16 weeks and I am trying to free shape a bow.  She will happily do it with a lure (at which point I have been clicking and treating) but I have had no luck (in three sessions) of her offering it freely.

Any suggestions?

What about getting Reah to target an object on the floor (something like a perspex square that you can fade to get her to lower her head. I might also try this with her back legs on the bottom rung of the stairs to help with the position.  Also I would try capturing it in any bouts of play.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2009, 07:05:40 PM »

Trying to get Jessie to pick up one of her toys, she is such a reluctant retriever.   Clicked when she touched it with her nose a few times, then withheld the click and waited and waited NOTHING.  Tried her little winnie the pooh bear which picked up briefly by the arm then dropped it. Going now to try an old sock of mine, she is not keen on picking up a solid item.  So apart from standing on my head to encourage her to pick it up. :005:

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2009, 07:11:37 PM »
will she take stuff from your hand and hold it?

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2009, 07:21:02 PM »

NO,   I have tried everything to get her to hold stuff in her mouth.   She does enjoy searching for a toy round the house and is quite good at that,. I guess searching for items is one of her strengths, but a retrieve is one of her weaker ones.  She is not big on playing with toys but loves coming to me for affection, she is a real cuddly girl.    Also I think Dylan might have spoiled her retrieve.  When throwing a ball if she goes to get the ball he will go after it and she will draw back and let him have it, she is submissive in nature.

Offline LinzHenz

• Puffy Fluppy Dog
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2009, 07:40:24 PM »
im bottom of the class with this clicker thing - i have a clicker but never used it! so trying to train stand whilst waiting for my tea to cook!
Linz & Henry Dog

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2009, 08:33:28 PM »
I've got the behaviour, occasionally  :005: (through shaping, screaming, and acting like an eegit  :lol2: no, just kidding!) I can get Chloe to pick up the toy, which is now lamby, instead of bally  by asking her to fetch it by name. She will bring it to the box, and 3 times roughly in 5 minutes, she will drop it in box (for which I click and reward like a dervish), the rest of the time she either tosses it about, >:( or brings it to me (which I click for) or drops it with one of its legs hanging in the box, but all the rest of body is dangling outside. I figured I should click for this too  :huh:. Then she gets fed up and wants to do something else  :005:  :dunno:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2009, 07:20:04 PM »
I've been watching this thread with interest  :D and have also had a go at shaping.  I read the link that Mark had put up about shaping and decided to have a go with the roll over as this is one thing I have been unable to achieve with Mollie even when we went to training classes when she was 6 months old, we were shown how to get your dog to roll over and Mollie just totally refused to be lured by the treat over her shoulder and therefore I have never been able to do this with her.  So we started with the lie down position, click and treat, then I did cheat a bit and push her a little in the right direction ( I know I shouldn't and will resist doing this again), this got a click and treat, then she went onto her back, click and treat, then she went all the way over  :banana: :banana:  It is no way near refined but I can work on this, but I am soooo pleased and really amazed at how shaping works :D

Sorry to go off topic of putting the toy in the box.  Mollie has already mastered this one last year, so I am looking forward to the next challenge ;)

Trying to train Daisy is a different kettle of fish, but we are trying :shades:  some dogs are just easier to train than others, I have one of each :005:
Kate, Fudge (Orange Roan 11 years)

Mollie (RIP 19/11/20 aged 15 1/2 years old)
Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2009, 08:41:30 PM »
It's great isn't it................ :huh: :dunno: :005:

I really am struggling with the challenge, but I'm finding other things that I can shape, (bows in particular, so at least something is coming out of it :huh: :005:)

I have now swapped the plastic box for a pyrex mixing bowl. Chloe STILL can't do more than 3 drops in the bowl in 5 minutes, she seems to have the concentration span of a gnat  >:( ;)

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2009, 09:00:06 PM »
I have now swapped the plastic box for a pyrex mixing bowl. Chloe STILL can't do more than 3 drops in the bowl in 5 minutes, she seems to have the concentration span of a gnat  >:( ;)

Daisy is really hard work with the shaping, I am just trying to get her to lie down and she just sits in front of me staring at me with those determined attitude eyes.........I started dropping off to sleep waiting :005: :005:
Kate, Fudge (Orange Roan 11 years)

Mollie (RIP 19/11/20 aged 15 1/2 years old)
Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2009, 09:08:24 PM »

Daisy is really hard work with the shaping, I am just trying to get her to lie down and she just sits in front of me staring at me with those determined attitude eyes.........I started dropping off to sleep waiting :005: :005:

You're lucky...Chloe does the eyes, then starts wining out of pure frustration, cos she can't work out what she's meant to do, poor wee lamb  >:( :005: :luv:

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2009, 09:16:57 PM »

Have you tried moving your position?

NO,   I have tried everything to get her to hold stuff in her mouth.   She does enjoy searching for a toy round the house and is quite good at that,. I guess searching for items is one of her strengths, but a retrieve is one of her weaker ones.  She is not big on playing with toys but loves coming to me for affection, she is a real cuddly girl.    Also I think Dylan might have spoiled her retrieve.  When throwing a ball if she goes to get the ball he will go after it and she will draw back and let him have it, she is submissive in nature.

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2009, 09:22:39 PM »

Went to training last night. My trainer suggested when she does hold a toy not to give the toy up straight away but have a game with her and play her game, she was saying that to have a good retrieve she must learn to have a good grip on the toy, then ask her give or thank you and gently put hand under toy rather than quickly grabbing for the toy.  Tried it today and it seemed to work. Have made a dummy out of a pair of my old socks.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2009, 01:38:09 PM »

Well Honey has gone on leaps and bounds on the challenge...
 :D

Will get a video of it at the weekend, but we now have 3 toys which she will put into her box... and the box is well away from me.  We have done this in the lounge and in the conservatory, and with added distractions of other things on the floor and other people about, so while it's not yet fully learned it is well on the way!!

She will put one toy in after another, but is not yet at the point where all three toys can be out and I ask for a specific one - if they are all out she automatically goes for the first one we learned (Hoop).  Likewise if we've used the hoop first and that is in the box, she will go and take this out and put it back in rather than pick up the new toy, but as we only introduced new toys today, I think she's done pretty well!!!  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2009, 10:34:01 PM »
OK, I know this one has gone off the boil a bit, but I am so proud to announce that Chloe will now pick up lamby and put him in her empty toy box everytime  :lol2: I have moved on to trying to get her to put ducky in the box too, but for some reason she isn't it getting it  :dunno: Same cues, same box, same everything really except a different toy with a different name, but she clearly can't generalise  :shades: ;). I'm so chuffed with her though, and the day will come when she clears all her toys up and puts them away before she goes to bed  ph34r :005: :005:
Will post vid soon  ;)

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2009, 10:50:14 PM »
OK, I know this one has gone off the boil a bit, but I am so proud to announce that Chloe will now pick up lamby and put him in her empty toy box everytime  :lol2: I have moved on to trying to get her to put ducky in the box too, but for some reason she isn't it getting it  :dunno: Same cues, same box, same everything really except a different toy with a different name, but she clearly can't generalise  :shades: ;). I'm so chuffed with her though, and the day will come when she clears all her toys up and puts them away before she goes to bed  ph34r :005: :005:
Will post vid soon  ;)

Well done to you and Chloe, I think its me that's gone off the boil as I haven't had much success. I initially chose a toy that Rosie didn't play with. She did well with touching it with her nose and I'm still waiting for her to progress to picking it up. I then moved onto a ball she likes playing with, she's happy to pick it up and bring it to me, even putting it in my hand but all she wants to do is play!  Any suggestions?
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge