Author Topic: Pet insurance  (Read 1822 times)

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
Pet insurance
« on: November 23, 2009, 08:59:01 AM »
Hi

I wonder if anyone can give me some advise on pet insurances companies as I have just
 received Holly's renewal insurance with More Than it's up :o have both the girls insured with them.
Honey's at £16.99 and Holly's  at £15.99,( £1 cheaper for second dog) Holly's now has gone up by £5.00 to £21.99 so guess Honey's will be £22.99.  :o :o

I don't want to not have the girls insured but this is a lot of dosh >:( I wonder if anyone can advise me on any other good insurance company.if not guess we will be eating a lot of beans :005:

At the present their cover is vet fees is up to £7000 with £70 +10 per cent of the rest of the treatment but once over 9 yrs this goes to up to 20 per cent.
 I know that vets fees have jumped and sods law says if you don't have one you will need it and I want to make sure that they both get the best treatment possible if needed.

Val

Offline silly milly

• Donator
  • silly milly
Re: Pet insurance
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 09:09:27 AM »
we are with healthy pets.

cost is £184.11 for two spayed pedigree bitches. (per year)
thats for gold cover, £5,000.00 vets fees and covers for ongoing conditions.
excess -£65.00

if you pay monthly it works out at £15.34 - thats for two dogs.
i have not had to claim - thank goodness - but someone else on here has and all seemed fine!

good luck - its a mine field out there!!!!!!
with lots of love from silly milly and her mum!!!!

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 09:27:44 AM »
Try sainsburys. We had Bonnie insured with More Than and it went up a lot after the first year which considering I had my House and car insured with them was a bit of a cheek. Sainsburys offered the same cover for less and the renewal has just come through and its gone down by £27.00
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 09:38:28 AM »
Another one to look into is AXA. They also don't add a percentage to pay once the pet is older. Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 02:15:27 PM »
I agree with johndoran.  My girls are insured with Sainsburys and it actually went down this year which is quite something with insurance companies. 
I think that all the dog insurance is a rip off as the excess is so much that unless the dog has something seriously wrong with it, you end up paying for it all yourself when you visit the vet anyway.
I think if I had to start again with a puppy I wouldn't bother with any insurance but put the money I would have paid in a special bank account that could be drawn from in emergency situations.  That way the money would build up, you have reassurance there is money there if needed, and if you never have to draw on the money when that awful time comes when you lose your beloved dog, there is money there to do what you want with.
I know the situation is different is your dog is elderly as you won't have time to build up a nest egg and that is the time when they are more likely to need vet help but if ever I get a new puppy it is something I would definitely do.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 03:22:22 PM »
I agree with johndoran.  My girls are insured with Sainsburys and it actually went down this year which is quite something with insurance companies. 
I think that all the dog insurance is a rip off as the excess is so much that unless the dog has something seriously wrong with it, you end up paying for it all yourself when you visit the vet anyway.
I think if I had to start again with a puppy I wouldn't bother with any insurance but put the money I would have paid in a special bank account that could be drawn from in emergency situations.  That way the money would build up, you have reassurance there is money there if needed, and if you never have to draw on the money when that awful time comes when you lose your beloved dog, there is money there to do what you want with.
I know the situation is different is your dog is elderly as you won't have time to build up a nest egg and that is the time when they are more likely to need vet help but if ever I get a new puppy it is something I would definitely do.

Yes we did that with our last two boys after our first little girl cost us a bomb, we opened an account for them and we were fine for  several years, then Taffy had lots of serious problems with his ears and he had to have a number of big ops on them (wish I had know about Thornit, then might have save him a lot of pain but sadly I never knew about COL.) then Merlin became ill with pancreatic( don't think I have spelt it right) then he became diabetic and his special ID food and insulin cost us around £140 a time. I'm afraid the bank fund did not last very long, beans on toast became a firm favorite  :lol2: :lol2: so this time when we got the girls we decide to have them both covered. and thank you all for your help with giving me names of pet insurances I have now cancelled More Than and have gone to Healthy Pets, the lady was most helpful and the cost for the 2 dogs £19.77. what a difference, ;)

Offline sallyd1

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
We insure Sam with Tesco for £10 a month and we are currently going through a claim and they have paid us an interim period as the claim is ongoing which is good as we are hundreds out of pocket at the moment. If your dog has never had an illness then I would go for the best cover that will keep paying out for the same problem if it reoccurs. Ours doesnt and so far we have totalled up £1100 for an ear problem and once its cleared up but then comes back again we will have to fund the bills ourselves. Worth paying the extra!