Author Topic: Hi, im new and expecting my baby on the 24/12 :)  (Read 7540 times)

Offline carrie84uk

Hi, im new and expecting my baby on the 24/12 :)
« on: December 05, 2009, 10:54:41 PM »
Hi everyone, my names Caroline and im getting my first cocker on xmas eve of all days lol. Shes a black working cocker with a little white bib and lip. Ive got a picture i will upload when i can figure out how  :005:

A bit about me, im 25 and married to Nick my childhood sweetheart. Together we have 4 children, 3 girls and a boy aged between 5years and 8 months. We also have a very large rabbit, 5 guinea pigs and 18 tropical fish and still have love left to give. And what better animal to give it to that a gorgeous cocker.

In honesty i am a little nervous. My husbands parents kept cockers as he was groing up so he has some expirience but i have none. I'm going into in with my eyes wide open. I feel like im awaiting the arrival of another baby. One that will indeed keep me up at night just as my children did with the addition of also chewing my slipppers  :005: I've been doing a lot of reading in preparation and thats how i found cockers online.

Any hints tips or advice would be greatly appreciated and i hope to get to know you all soon xxx
Mummy to 4 kids, 5 guineas, 1 rabbit 18 tropical fish & 1 Cocker :)

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
Re: Hi, im new and expecting my baby on the 24/12 :)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:00:12 PM »
Welcome to COL  :D This site is very addictive, so be warned  :005:

Im Maria and i have two show type cockers , Dennis who is 1 tommorrow and hes blue roan and i have Douglas who is 14weeks and is liver roan  :D

Im 24 and also married with 4 children aged between 6 years and 13 months  :D

I look forward to seeing pictures , whats her name ?

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 11:02:34 PM »
Hi and welcome! You are going to have your hands full  :o :o Christmas day will be manic in your house  :005:
I have a working cocker with the same markings as your baby (see my avatar)  - what is your wee bundle of joy going to be called ?
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline carrie84uk

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 11:57:39 PM »
I cant believe i forgot to write her name! lol. Im calling her Daisy. I just cannot wait to bring her home. I went to see her on tuesday. The breeder is lovely. Your dogs are beautiful! I had originally wanted a blue roan. But this litter came along i went to see them and just fell in love with Daisy. Especially after her dramatic entrance into the world. She was the last one born and the only one delivered by c section. She had to resusitated bless her. Just makes me love and value her even more (get me to say that when shes eaten my boots lol)

Offline maggieann

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 12:05:34 AM »
Hi, welcome to COL, I have a black show cocker called Torin. Beware, this forum is very addictive - for the past week I've been housebound with a chest infection and I've been on here constantly.  :005: I love the name Daisy.  :D
Torin & Me

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

Offline Ecruse

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 09:12:38 AM »
Hi Caroline and Welcome!

I'm 25 and married too, with just the one cocker baby at the moment, Dylan!

Everyone here is so helpful and full of fantastic advice!

Can't wait to see some pics of Daisy!

x
Emma, Dylan and Maggie x

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 09:15:39 AM »
Wow, 4 young kids and puppy! Brave woman! What made you go for a working type, was that what your hubby had before? Does worry me that your new pup is available for xmas eve...makes me wonder what the breeders motives are :huh:

Best of luck and welcome to COL!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 09:19:50 AM »
Hi, weve got holly a show cocker think she about 24 weeks now!
Im 30 and have 2 boys, ones 4 the other will be 1 on boxing day... getting presents is a nightmare already  ::)
Noticed you posted on the Ayr meet thread, Im sure another meet will bet arranged next year some time - culzean maybe!! We recently went to a meet in Fife and it was great, Fiona has arranged glasgow way I think so you'll have a few to choose from when the time comes.
Good luck and looking forward to the photos  :D

Offline silly milly

• Donator
  • silly milly
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 09:39:43 AM »
hi!    welcome and hope your christmas day is not quite as hectic as it sounds!
with lots of love from silly milly and her mum!!!!

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 09:49:31 AM »
Hello there, Welcome!

Rather you than me :lol: I've currently got an 11 month old baby, a 7 yr old child a 2.5 yr old show cocker and a 5yr old Weimaraner and I'm on my knees trying to give the dogs enough excises and keep the baby out of the bits she shouldn't be in  :lol:

I would strongly advise that you gate a bit of your house off (usually the kitchen is a good idea) that the pup can be in away from the kids so you can relax a bit and stop pup chewing the kids toys and the kids...

Lots of luck! Did your OH's family have working cockers or show types before? Do be warned that cockers can have quite a strong hunt drive so be careful with your other pets..

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline tots

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 10:36:16 AM »
hya and welcome,
what a christmas youre going to have lol
ive 3 kids n 3 pooches, the youngest being a 6mnth black working cocker :D

Offline carrie84uk

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 10:50:16 AM »
Wow, so many replies. Thank you for such a warm welcome. So many things i need to reply ive forgotten half of it. The kitchen is closed off with a baby gate and that will be her quiet space. Ive also got a crate for her so she can get peace. Hubbys parents had both a working cocker and show cockers. To be truthful i would have preferred a show cocker. But i just bonded with Daisy straight away she could have been a mongrel and it wouldnt have mattered  :luv:
My guineas are all in cages in the living room, even i struggle to open them so they should be safe enough. The rabbit is a house rabbit and has free run of the house at times but he also has a crate. So i will only be letting him out when Daisys in her crate sleeping.
I look forward to getting to know everyone and maybe one day going to a meet up. I dont really have a clue what im doing so i could use all the advice i can get my mits on.
As for the breeders motives i think they are fairly obvious. Hubby was made redundant 6 months ago, they have kids its coming up for christmas. All the same the mother of the pups is a much loved family pet and they are all very well taken care of. Daisy is in good health so they really are my only concerns. She KC reg ive seen her 5 generation certificate and checked her show name on the web site so im happy enough.

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 01:22:57 PM »
Hi and welcome I am owned by Bonnie Boo, now a 3 year old lemon roan worker.Sounds like you have both feet firmly on the ground and are going in to this with eyes open wide.All I can say is read some old Puppy posts and Know that whatever happens its all happened before to some one on here. Its a really helpfull forum with many very Knowledgable people (not me :lol:) Keep us updated with all your Cocker Puppy news.
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline Marialh

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 01:45:35 PM »
Hello! Welcome to COL  :D

Wow, it sounds like you already have your hands full. I'll bet Daisy will have a lot of fun in your house!

My name's Maria (another one) and I have a red/white working cocker called Bracken. No kids, Bracken is enough work for me at the moment  :005:  Looking forward to lots of pics - try and take loads, they change and grown SO fast. We've had Bracken 2 months and he's already at least 3 times bigger than the cute little roly poly puppy he was  :lol:

Offline mcphee

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 02:05:09 PM »
Hello. I have Rufus, who is 5 years old and 3/4 working 1/4 show and black (registered black and white). As Hurtwood said, some workers have a very strong hunt instinct and I have one of them. My children are grown up, and we had the guineas and bunnies some years ago before we got Rufus. I would urge you to be very careful, as my cocker is very fast when hunting and rabbits are very fragile in the neck and back. I am sure you will not have an incident, but I know I would not be able to keep a rabbit in the house with my cocker. Others will have done so  successfully, so I am sure it is possible and they will have advice for you. Good luck and hope all is well over Christmas. We picked Rufus up after Christmas and New Year so the tree and decorations were down, so I wouldn't know what you face.