Author Topic: Gun Dog training / first season  (Read 1004 times)

Offline sophiew

• Donator
Gun Dog training / first season
« on: December 09, 2009, 09:49:09 PM »
I wonder if anyone can help.

I'm wanting to enrol Tally in Gun Dog classes once she's 6 months old (in Feb) but when I read the small print it says that you shouldn't book a course (8 weeks) if your bitch might come in to season during that time, as you won't be able to attend and you'd lose your money. Obviously I don't know when Tally will have her first season - I could book the course when she's 6 months and she might come into season, but she might not come into season for ages and I'll have missed a course.... so what's best? Not sure what to do!

Thanks

Sophie
x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Gun Dog training / first season
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 10:14:39 PM »
I would probably risk it and book her in, there's a chance you'll lose some money but I'd take the chance that she wouldn't start her seasons until after she was 8 months old. Even if she did you could continue her training at home and then pick up again where you left off otherwise you could be waiting until she's anything up to or over a year old before you get her training going. Caoimhe's just bang on 11 months now and came into season about 2 weeks ago while with her trainer, I had a feeling it would happen some time while she was there but didn't want to put off getting her training up to the next stage because of it.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline sophiew

• Donator
Re: Gun Dog training / first season
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:16:39 PM »
Thank you - that was my gut feeling, but their reply to my email was not to book her in if she MIGHT have a season - which of course, she might - who knows!! I didn't want to leave it longer either, so I'll do as you suggest and see what happens! It's not the end of the world if we miss some, just didn't want to throw money down the drain.

Roll on Spring!

Thanks

Sophie
x