Author Topic: Can you use clicker training for gundog training?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline nickycnc

• Site Member
Can you use clicker training for gundog training?
« on: November 22, 2009, 07:44:11 PM »
Although I think I know the answer is yes I was after experienced trainers opinions. I am currently training towards the Grade one test but finding that Darcy isn't very responsive to the praise technique's so when I get her home I am tending to use clicker training for the come and heel etc. I'm not so sure that my trainer would be happy to hear this (I'm not 100% happy with some of his techniques either >:D) but feel that you need to come away and be selective on the information/training you want to use.... for example he picked my dog up by her scruff with two hands and said it was nothing more than her mother would have done to tell her off...I can't remember what she did wrong for him but she either barked or disobeyed him. She didn't cry but I won't be repeating it or letting him do that again).
Mum to 2 girls, Darcy & Charley

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
Re: Can you use clicker training for gundog training?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 08:08:27 PM »

Yes you can .   I beleive there is a book on clicker gun dog training ,but can't remember the name of it.  The first trainer I went to taught us to do this . I only did this once I was so upset, I would like to add I did not go back there again. He was a qualified trainer with the BIDPT.

This is such an old way of training, I have learned  much better ways to train my dogs using kind, positive methods like clicker training.

I expect those who have much better experience and teaching eg. TOP BARKs will give you some good advise.

Offline nickycnc

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 08:14:06 PM »
Yeah I wasn't to happy with what he did but having paid up front the only thing I believe I can do is stop him doing things I believe to be adversein future. Its more annoying that his welcoming talk was all about firm, fair and respect..yet he seems to have a few old fashioned methods which taint his training in my eyes.
Mum to 2 girls, Darcy & Charley

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 08:18:15 PM »
Clicker Gundogs by Helen Phillips, is the book I have seen referred to on here. There are links to other resources and articles on the Gundog club website. I'm sure someone with experience will be along soon to advise you though.

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 08:22:06 PM »
I use the clicker to train my spanish water dogs and will be using it at times when training Tank
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Caticus

• Site Member
  • Ash at 12 weeks
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 09:08:14 PM »
Hi, I have used a mixture of clicker and the whistle. The clicker for things such as initial stages of the present/walk to heel/sitstay etc and the whistle is a must for recalls/stops etc. I tend to click at the end of the exercise now so they know its complete, so on a recall I would use the whistle to bring them in, wait till they sit in front of me and then click. Mail me if that doesn't make sense.
Once they had each exercise I faded the clicker and tend to only use it when I want to tighten them up again in a training session, but the whistle I use all the time now, never go on a walk without it.

Offline cockyjim

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 12:45:19 PM »
I use the clicker for the stopping to the whistle at distance. it made a big difference. every time I would praise, the dog would get up and come back. the clicker stopped that and he still knew he was a good boy :D