Author Topic: 2010 Cocker Championships  (Read 8248 times)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
2010 Cocker Championships
« on: December 15, 2009, 10:50:39 AM »
The 2010 Championships are being held on the Ford & Etal Estate near Coldstream on the 18th and 19th January, is anyone going to spectate? I'm planning to be there on at least one of the days, Caoimhe's trainer is running two dogs including my favourite, Randalyn Black Knight, and I'm sure it'll be a really interesting couple of days as ever :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline EddieP

Re: 2010 Cocker Championships
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 04:05:09 PM »
I'd love to go, but a bit far from Winchester and can't get the time off. Would love to see our trainer too. He ran Randlyn Black Jazz last year.
Ed, Jo and Alfie

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 06:40:44 PM »
Ah that's a shame it's a bit too far. I've heard Nick Gregory is a nice guy and that was a great result for him last year. She's a nice bitch, I like all the Randalyn dogs I've seen, they're from similar lines to Caoimhe.

Offline moola

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 09:24:30 PM »
Mr Moola here (she reads my lab forum, so repaying the compliment... ;)!)
I saw on a cocker-related post on LabForums (there are others out there who have both!) that there's a meeting next week to see whether the Cocker Championship will indeed go ahead, due to the amount of snow at Ford & Etal... Best to check first if you're intending to go up. At the moment it's still on, though - and they're hoping for a thaw... (this last bit from yet another gundog forum!)
In case it's not posted anywhere, contact details from which you might check are at http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/download/6694/Cocker-Spaniel-Championship-Schedule-2009.pdf
Lab lover who has discovered the dark side that is .... cockers!

Offline moola

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 09:22:39 PM »
It's off - posponed to end of the month. Press release in Shooting Times: "Due to recent weather conditions in the Northumberland area, it has been decided to postpone the Kennel Club's 78th Cocker Spaniel Championship until 29 and 30 January.....For more information contact Mike Smith tel 01786 825 163 or email mike@mailscotgundogs.co.uk."
Lab lover who has discovered the dark side that is .... cockers!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 09:50:39 PM »
Yep, I got a message from Simon earlier today about it, I think it's probably the wisest move. I'm still aiming to get down to spectate :D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 06:40:06 PM »
I went to spectate at the 2nd day of the Championships today and it was a great day, I saw some fantastic dogs and everything went off without a hitch. It was very cold but bright and sunny and the ground was excellent. These are the results:

2010 Cocker Champion - Moelfamau Mini (bitch) owned and handled by Will Clulee
2nd FTCH Rowston Serana (bitch) owned and handled by Dai Ormond
3rd FTCH Orgest Yfwr (dog) owned and handled by Will Clulee
4th FTCH Argyll Chiefton (dog) owned and handled by Will Clulee
Gun's Choice - Moelfamau Mini
Winner of the Rivington Challenge Cup for the breeder of the Championship winning dog - D Skidmore
Winner of the Cocker Spaniel Club's Peter Hall Trophy for the Cocker with the most points over the season - Churchview Task of Fowlersmoon owned and handled by Simon Tyers

Certificates of Merit
FTCH Cheweky Scholes owned and handled by Mark Whitehouse
FTCH Randalyn Black Knight owned by Lyn Randall and handled by Simon Tyers
FTCH Fenlord Rosey owned and handled by Robin Laud
FTCH Rowston Sahara owned and handled by Guy Stubbings
Chyknell Iris owned by Joe Shotton and handled by Ian Openshaw
FTCH Rowston Rachel owned and handled by Dai Ormond
Chyknell Lilly owned by J Heeley and handled by Ian Openshaw
FTCh Fernmoss Moonshine owned by T Frost and handled by Jon Bailey

So it was a good day for the girls and for Will Clulee :shades: :lol2: The winning bitch ran superbly today and by all accounts was the same yesterday, I was at the front of the line for one of her runs and she was very eye catching and she made two fabulous retrieves on a cock pheasant and a woodcock. There was a run-off to decide 1st and 2nd places.

I have photos but haven't got them off the camera yet!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 07:12:23 PM »
Probably a daft question from me, but do they have any similar competitions down here (Hampshire or not too far from), and if so, how would I found out where/when?

I'm sure I'll never own a working Cocker, but I'd love to go and see some doing what they're primarily bred for.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 07:18:57 PM »
Probably a daft question from me, but do they have any similar competitions down here (Hampshire or not too far from), and if so, how would I found out where/when?

I'm sure I'll never own a working Cocker, but I'd love to go and see some doing what they're primarily bred for.

Can get you along to a shoot next year if you want Elaine  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 07:39:59 PM »
So it was a good day for the girls and for Will Clulee :shades: :lol2:

Will be interesting to see some photos of Will, we lived in the same lane as Will and his dad Bill (or I should say they came to live near us) for a few years, I think they moved as they were struggling to get permission for kennels.  It's where the Larford name comes from though  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 07:46:23 PM »

Not a daft question at all! The Championships are a once a year event, the culmination of the field trial season and move location every year, last year it was held at Shadwell in Norfolk and I don't know if next year has been decided yet. There will more than likely be field trials held in your area during the season though, most counties/regions/areas have at least one club/society which will run novice and open Cocker trials, the KC website has a list of affiliated clubs and competitions. Some trials are more geared up for spectators than others though, there's generally a lot of walking, rough cover and climbing over fences involved and often you can't see much of what's going on depending on what cover the dogs are working, the Championships are a good bet for spectating as they invariably draw a goodish crowd.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 07:54:31 PM »

Can get you along to a shoot next year if you want Elaine  ;)

Thanks Helen, and Nicola too, for your replies. Helen, I'd like to go on a shoot next year please. My only experience has been a one off day as a beater in my student days about 37 years ago :lol2: and all I remember is that it was a very cold day, most of the dogs were Labs and a fellow student broke a leg when she tripped over something :o. I'll also keep a look out for any trials and hope that the going's not too tough for a wussy show Cocker owner used to the relatively flat bits of the New Forest :lol2:

Offline Mez

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 02:32:01 AM »
Sounds like Will Clulee will be celebrating, not only 1st but also 3rd & 4th place!!!
A big well done to him from me :clapping:
(Will also won the championship in '99 with Brie's grandsire Larford Cateran)

Hope you enjoyed it Nicola, looking forward to seeing your photos, I was very envious of you being there,
although I was more than happy to be out beating with Brie, a little sad that it was our last day of the season though,
the countdown to october begins again!

Its a shame Simon didn't place but at least he got a C.O.M & the Peter Hall Trophy :clapping:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 01:11:41 PM »

Hope you enjoyed it Nicola, looking forward to seeing your photos, I was very envious of you being there,
although I was more than happy to be out beating with Brie, a little sad that it was our last day of the season though,
the countdown to october begins again!

Yep yesterday was the last shoot here too so I sacrificed Rodaidh's last day beating but it was worth it, it was a really good day. I can't believe the season is over again too, time to start thinking about field test entries for the summer now.

Jack (Black Knight) ran well yesterday but it just wasn't his day. Simon withdrew Twig (Cheweky Twiggy) after her first run as her season is due to start today and she was very much showing the signs of it, she'd had a good first day though. The dog that caught my eye was Orgest Yfwr, he looked a cracking dog :shades:

Offline JohnW

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 05:23:02 PM »
I was hoping to get to this with George Wilson from Witchwillow gundogs. I am in the middle of opening a shop so cant do much at present. And I bet it was a fantastic day too.  >:(  I second the photos Nicola. Get them on here ASAP Pleeeassee  ;)